SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

Our First Stained Gless Winchime

kirkus
15 years ago

Hi Everyone! Well, we finally made our first, stained glass windchime! As you may have read, we were given boxes and boxes of stained glass. Carol has used some in her stained glass projects. She also made me cobalt blue panes for my birdfeeders. (They look so cool. I'll post photos at another time.)

Well, we worked together to make the chimes. Carol cut the glass. I drilled the holes with diamond drill bits. We got a great hint on the forum to check EBay for a good price on the bits.

I'm giving Carol all of the credit for the rest. We had found a chandelier bobeche at a junk store with predrilled holes where crystals or some kind of danglies must've hung. Carol attached the glass with crimping beads on the wire...again a suggestion from here on the forum. (WE LOVE THIS FORUM!)

Here's the funny part. Carol and I took the completed project to our small town, hardware store to find a hanger. Carol freaked out because the workers took the chimes and walked it all around the store, showing everyone! They thought it was so cool! I thought she was going to have a heart attack because she thought they would break it. :o) I told her that it was a test to see if they would withstand a breeze outside! I also told her that we may have made junk converts out of the employees! LOL

Anyways, they found a light fixture attachment for us, and we attached it. The chimes are cobalt blue and a crystally glass with the clear glass of the bobeche. The attachment is gold...we're thinking of painting it a silver color so it doesn't take away from the chimes. Carol wants to know what you think about the fixture attachment? I think it is nice and sturdy and painted a silvery color would be nice but I think she needs some positive reinforcement from our GardenWeb junking friends. ;o)

Isn't it cool? Didn't she do a nice job? I love my wife! She is just so dog-gone creative!

I took 2 pictures.. one in the light so you can see the color and one inside so you can see it better.

Bear Hugs! Kirk

{{gwi:129249}}

{{gwi:129250}}

Comments (15)

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

That's beautiful!! Nice work!!

I can just imagine how Carol felt watching them carry it all over the store. YIKES!!

Personally...I would paint it silver. Gold somehow doesn't have the same punch with cobalt that silver has.

It sure is pretty with the snow behind it!!

~Sandy~

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, I know I looked at the posting's title before posting it... My eyes are deceiving me... snow blindness?! LOL It should read, "Our First Stained GLASS WINDCHIME"... Sheeeesh! ...and I'm a teacher! LOL Bear Hugs! Kirk

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Looks beautiful against the snow. What a wonderful project!!!!!!!! I agree with the folks at the hardware!!!! It will have all of us drilling glass!!!!

Great Job Guys!!!!!!!!!!

Susie

• laurastheme
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!!! I would go with the silver.

• mzclassic
    15 years ago

WOW, that is really pretty. What a great idea! You two did a great job on it and I bet it sounds so nice when the wind hits it. Thanks for sharing.

Donna in Florida

• katishooked
    15 years ago

It looks elegant with the snowy background. Good job

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

Wow! Kirk you can tell Carol that as a fellow glass artist and junker, I absolutely love it. I have done a couple of chimes but haven't been so lucky to find a chandelier bobeche. The cobalt blue is gorgeous against the snow. You did a wonderful job and I agree that once the light fixture is painted silver it will be absolutely perfect.

• User
    15 years ago

Just send that to me, I'll give it a good home!
    The glass is beautiful, how does it sound in the breeze?

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Great job both of you! VERY pretty! I love the blue! And, its nice to know that other people can't type either Kirk! Hehe!

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Love it! Great team work! I vote for silver! Jeanne S.

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

VERY NICE!!! So glad you've started making projects with that stained glass you mentioned earlier. Looking forward to more beautiful creations from you two. ~tenderlee

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Silver it is! We braved the snowy roads today to get Carol her latte and to get silver spray paint! (It snowed another 8 inches here last night! UGH!!!!) Thanks for your advice! Snowy Bear Hugs! Kirk

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Lovely!! I think the silver will look great with the cobalt!!! Nice job!!!I liked your 3 blue bottle chimes too, in the snow pics, very cool!! Jan

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Wow ... you'll have to hang that WAY UP somewhere (above the roof line, it looks) so it doesn't get covered with snow! That windchime is so BEAUTIFUL! Jeanne S. ...glad you ventured out to get the silver paint!

• Dottie B.
    15 years ago

That came out really nice and that attachment they found for you is perfect. I think silver would be better also.

It's always nice when a non-junker can appreciate your work.