SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

Oh Christmas Tree! Post your tree Here!

kirkus
16 years ago

After seeing Sandy's beautiful Christmas tree with the train and the neat one she sent toomuchglass, I thought it would be fun to post our Christmas trees! Here is ours! Our 7 year old daughter and I walk through our snow-covered forest each year and search for the perfect tree. It's like a moment out of The Homecoming, the original Waltons movie, as we bring the tree home. This is our find this year. It's an old-fashioned Christmas tree! So, post your Christmas tree here! Merry Christmas! BEAR HUGS! Kirk

{{gwi:129036}}

Comments (37)

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

Oh...WOW...Kirk...I love that tree! The whole setting has a lovely old fashioned look. It's wonderful!!

We've always gone for the more old fashioned decorations...
    {{gwi:129037}}
    but this year I wasn't up to unwrapping all the ornatments and hanging them...so I went to the dollar store and bought a bunch of snowflakes and to Michaels for delicate gold leaves to put on the tree. I only unpacked my big gold bow and the dove, deer and birdnest with golden eggs for good luck. (Lord knows I could use some of that! LOL) And I won't have much at all to wrap and pack up again!

DH bought the train that goes around the tree. It's awesome! It whistles, the conductor talks, the headlight shines and everything!! $16 at Lowe's! Such a deal...as DH always says!
    {{gwi:128754}}

~Sandy~

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

I don't have a big tree, just some small ones thru-out the house. Here's a couple of them.
    This is my "wall tree" (flat backed for hanging)
    {{gwi:129038}}

and my purple ornament tree
    {{gwi:128208}}

Happy HoliDAZE,
    Karen

• Related Discussions

Oh Christmas tree

Q

Comments (1)
    Gina, I love your tree and your little family all posed so sweet for the photo.
    ...See More

Here it is .. The 2009 Christmas Tree post !

Q

Comments (101)
    deborahnj - Ar first I thought that I was seeing things - I hadn't posted pics of my tree yet! I can't believe all those ornaments have survived all these years (esp. the paper ones). Are you going to give those all to him once he's got a place of his own? Anyway, we finally put the tree up last night (after seeing Princess and the Frog and buying teacher gifts, making cookies). Ta da! I'd like to say that *everything* on the tree was made by a loved one, but we've got some store-bought wooden beads that look like cranberries, some Mardi Gras beads that were in the box and DD wanted them, some big pinecones that used to smell like cinnamon, and candy canes we bought yesterday (of course the kids had to sample them). We do have the reindeer with "hand" antlers DD made 3 yrs ago (grownup - grandma? I forget - helped with the eyes) Some stars we bought at Michaels and DS painted (blush - I confess I forget what year - maybe 2001?), several "cookies" he has made in early grades (strange combination of applesauce and cinnamon?). He wants to make gingerbread (no time today - did 3 dozen chocolate cookies and then put a roast in, the power went out half an hour later! Thank goodness it came back on after cycling a few times. Next year's big gift - a generator!) Ceramic stars my cousin made for us (1 big one and 2 small ones) as wedding favors when she got married in 2005, glass ball with small gold beads another cousin made one year (DS wanted red glass ornaments - maybe next year), a buck and a doe we bought at one of DS's school bazaars a few years back And my favorites - knitted skate, stockings, sweaters, etc. that my grandma made about 10 years ago (she died in 2001). I also have some "stained glass" ornaments my siblings made for me about 25 years ago, and a stuffed gingerbread man I embroidered when I was a teenager. I was telling DD that DS had a jump on her, she'd better get crackin' so she made a few more ornaments today - incl. the star on top of our tree. DS actually thought of that one after seeing the straw angel was kind of blah, I was thinking DD could make a yellow paper 5-pointed start but DS wanted a Christmas star (18 points but we were lucky to get 10), and DD wanted glitter but I said foil would be easier (then regretted it as I was the one folding the foil as she taped it). Oh and for zipdee, the stand we got (along with the tree that Mom decided was too big for their house) from my parents last year (though I think your glossy red one is prettier) So much for the elegant blue and silver tree I wanted (and bought all the ornaments for last Dec 26). But I figured DD was still little, we had all these special family ornaments, I might as well let the kids enjoy decorating the tree for a few more years. Yes, we have multicolor (LED) lights! I have to find a Walmart with them in stock tomorrow since it's a new tree and new lights I'm short by about 20 ft.
    ...See More

post your Christmas tree picture here

Q

Comments (15)
    Couldn't decide which one to post so I did both. One was taken with the lights out before all the gifts were put under it. Second one Christmas morning. The tree is new, and heavy, comes in 3 peices...so I got it together by myself and by the time I realized I didn't have it centered in the base I had half the tree decorated. Didn't feel like redoing it so it leans to the left...oh, well....
    ...See More

Oh Christmas Tree

Q

Comments (54)
    The tree doesn't appear at my house till 2 days before Christmas so this is last years. Nothing will change this year as the tree is stored in a box as is from year to year. Many of the decorations on this little tree were made 40 or more years ago using Shrinky Dinks when we started trimming a live Norfolk Island pine as our tree. The light weight of the Shrinky Dinks was perfect. Our teenage daughters used pictures from a Christmas themed coloring books for patterns. This angel on top was decorating the present from my future husband in 1958. I was 18 and the gift was a cashmere sweater.
    ...See More
  • susiesunshine
    16 years ago

Oh Christmas Tree ~~~~~ Oh , Christmas Tree...........
    how lovely are A L L thy Branches !!!!!
    If Gomer Pile... was here he would say.....
    GOLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYY !!!!
    Them there trees are just B E A U T I F U L !!!!!!!
    Each one looks just like their.... maker...
    Just like the owner looks like their DOGs....
    welll ....... You three,.... Kirk , Sandy, and Karen....
    YOUR the master of the tree.... and your trees look like YOU!
    YA ' LL have shown us your personality !!!!!
    and I thank you for that....
    I can just truly say.... I love each one....
    It's sooooooooo amazing to me.... how you can take a tree...
    different people decorate it... and have so mmannnny looks!

I think we should start a little Christmas tree look book!
    Well...
    I guess we just did...
    Thanks Kids......
    Sorry I stilll have no pictures....
    BUT>>>>>>
    I haaave been taking lots.... and some are of the real snowflakes....
    so in the summer when ya'll are real hot .... I'll have SNOW Pictures !!! and a Picture of my TREE!!!!
    Thanks for POSTING!
    Thanks for being COOL Garden Web Friends !!!!
    GOD BLESS YOU EACH ONE AND ALL YA'LLS FAMILIES !
    M E R R Y + C H R I S T MAS !!!!
    Susiesunshine

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

wow! Love all the trees:)Kirk,my husband always looks for the Waltons Christmas every year,his favorite:)Your tree is beautiful!Karen I have never seen a flat tree, I sure could use one of those!!It's beautiful and so is the purple one! I have been drooling over the feather trees at Michael's,would love one! Sandy,you and I think alike,lol! Your tree is simply beautiful! Here's ours, I got tired of hanging ornaments after a couple days, and gave up :) Mine is magnolias,pine cones, glass birds, birds nests, a large garland of grapevine that winds around the whole tree top to bottom, pearl,crystal and gold beaded garlands, grapevine hearts, mostly gold and clear ornaments,with a few maroon ones. There's still a whole storage box left, but it looks ok to me. Also bought this icy looking wreath and cut it apart and slipped those in the branches,and filled in with a lot of babys breath. An old lace curtain for the skirt:) I haven't wrapped a single gift yet! But I got the tree up!

{{gwi:129039}}

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Here's mine - I just love my skinny tree, got it at The Christmas Tree Shops a couple of years ago for only $20 and decorated it with a Snowman theme. It's so easy now, I don't even take the ornies off anymore. I just pick it up and store it away covered up.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Sal

{{gwi:129040}}

• KaraLynn
    16 years ago

I love to collect old or homemade christmas ornaments, particularly the vintage glass christmas balls. At least a third of the ornaments on my tree are homemade (some made by me, others I found at thrift stores) incluging hand painted ceramics, mini grapevine wreaths, crochet wreaths and angels, stainglass, and bead candycanes and bells. Another third are vintage ornaments like the glass christmas balls. There are a bunch more of them on the tree this year since I found two nearly full boxes of beautiful balls at Salvation Army recently and they cost less then a dollar each box! I even managed to find a vintage christmas tree stand! The rest of the ornaments include things like glass icicles, plastic apples, cat ornaments, swedish straw and wood ornaments, and anything that happened to catch my eye in the stores!
    {{gwi:129041}}
    {{gwi:129042}}

I also one of those large ceramic christmas trees that is lit from the inside on my dining room table. There is a row of vintage christmas balls hanging above it.
    {{gwi:129043}}

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

Kudzukween, When you said you haven't wrapped a single gift yet...but your tree is up...it made me laugh. I'm right there with you!! I figured as long as we had a decorated tree...we could have Christmas! LOL And...your tree is as busy as mine usually is! Love it!

Sal, you brought back some memories when you said you leave the decorations on your tree, cover it and put it away for the next year. My parents used to do the same thing with theirs. They had a walk-up attic and just carried it up the stairs! (What I wouldn't give for a staircase to my attic!) Love your snowman collection too!

Karen, I want your purple tree...even though it wouldn't go with a darned thing in my house!! LOL

Karalyn, your tree is lovely! Very old fashioned looking. You have gone to a lot of trouble to find and make so many neat things for it. I also love the ornatments hanging above your ceramic tree. Very nice!

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas"!

~Sandy~

• susiesunshine
    16 years ago

Oh Karalynn:
    I Adore your vintage stuff ! Great find at the TS!
    I grew up with all those ornaments and I just adore them... and the hand made stuff is GREAT! I have stuff my DD made in school and I treasure each and every one of them .... I intend to pass them on to her DD my GD !!! Cool Idea !
    Your Ceramic kitchen tree with lites and the cool shelf with your lovely vintage stuff... and the hanging ornaments are all just quite charming !!! So Nice of you to share! I appreciate seeing them!
    M E R R Y + C H R I S T MAS!!!
    susiesunshine

• rchovey
    16 years ago

Here is a daytime picture. DH and I go to the farmer's market every year and pick out a tree, usually takes what seems like forever to find that one tree that begs to come home with us, this year we found this one in about 10 minutes! I think it was a pretty good choice...
    I wish I could figure out how to put the pictures into the message, haven't mastered that yet, sorry!

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas tree

• susiesunshine
    16 years ago

Kudzukween: that is a beautiful nature lovers dream of a tree!
    Sal: the skinny tree is adorable ! I love the snowmen
    I think it is sooooo wonderful that each individual can decorate their tree to the theme that suits them best !!!
    It is something I can look at the pictures forever and never get tired of... I want to look and admire them year round.!!!!
    Thanks a bunch for the great pictures !!!
    Have your selves
    a M E R RY + C H R I S T MAS !!!!
    God Bless !
    Susiesunshine

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

I love sentimental ornaments and still have many.As each of my children married I packed up their personal ornaments for their own trees. After the third child left I realized I hade gaping holes. Not wanting to go commercial I decided to fill those holes with MY favorite things.I have been collecting Anne and Andies for a while so now I have a Raggedy tree!
    {{gwi:129044}}
    {{gwi:129045}}
    {{gwi:129046}}
    and I can't forget my loyal helpers
    {{gwi:128689}}

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

Love Raggedy Ann & Andy!! Sweet! Not as sweet as the little helpers though!!

Here are my small trees. They're everywhere!

Family room:
    {{gwi:129047}}
    Ohhhh...that's blurry!

Porch:
    {{gwi:129048}}

Foyer:
    {{gwi:129049}}
    Ha...almost killed myself taking that one. It's a small hall! LOL

Breakfast room:
    {{gwi:129050}}

Can't have too many Christmas trees! At least the little ones are easy to decorate!

~Sandy~

• debby_md_z7
    16 years ago

they are all veryyy nice
    debby

• countrygrl
    16 years ago

Oh Sandy, I did the same thing!! Our daughter is in college now, so nobody felt like dragging the ornaments upstairs! The snowflakes and red balls are from $ Tree. I feel so lazy every time I look at it, because I miss seeing all the ornaments that we've collected over the years. I think I'm the only one that misses them! So enjoy my Lame Tree!
    {{gwi:129024}}

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

OMG...thanks for the laugh, Countrygrl!! Do what I do...squint when you look at. You won't be able to see that your favorite ornaments are missing!

~Sandy~

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Countrygrl, I am loving the grapevine wrapped around your Christmas tree - that is soooooo country/prim looking. It's perfect.

Sal

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

So many pretty trees and different decor ideas. What fun to see. I'm glad this thread was started here.
    Sandy, I was surprised at how many purple ornies I found last year at sales. And I love having the silver tree to put them on. Thanks to my DD thinking of that.
    You saying my "purple tree"....well boy did I see one! If my family wouldn't have heart failure, I'd get it just for me. (cept it's a BIG tree, LOL) And how would I decorate it anyway? Silver ornaments?
    {{gwi:129052}}

hugs, Karen

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

Holy cow, Karen...where did you find that? I've never seen a purple Christmas tree...at least not with purple needles and all!

I remember seeing a full sized silver tree hanging up-side-down in front of someone's picture window a few years back. It was pretty cool actually!

My daughters do some totally awesome Christmas trees! I wish I had the time to go take pictures of them to post.

Have you seen the rainbow colored poinsettias? Wow! Nothing is sacred anymore!!

I like more traditional things. Guess it's cuz I'm old!

~{{gwi:129053}}Sandy~

• grandmabarb
    16 years ago

Here is our Tree, I also like the home made ornaments. Made a lot of them and also recieved alot for gifts, My little elf on ladder recieved from a friend and made a ladder for it to climb on , over chair is Santa bag that I made to haul gifts to familys houses . Have Five granddaughters so we have lot of gifts under tree!
    Happy Holidayssrc="http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc190/grandmabarb656/DSCF0015.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">
    {{gwi:129054}}

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Sandy, there's a Christmas tree site online that I saw this tree. In fact they had them in many colors. Seems this year PINK trees are very popular according to an article I just read in our paper. And so are black ones!!!! LOL.

grandmabarb, what a fun tree. Handmade ornies are so special. You are loaded with presents for those little ones it seems! Same here, have 8 grandchildren.

hugs, Karen

• misselaineous
    16 years ago

no tree pics yet...my tree will be naked until tonight, but I am really enjoying everyone else's! They are all so unique...just like you! re: the "new" colors of Christmas...the first year my DH and I flew to FL to spend Christmas w/ his family, I saw a whole tree lot filled with pink (!) and blue and even green flocked trees and said "WHAT!!!!!?" This was back in the early 70's, and being from New England, I just could not embrace a pink Christmas tree. Now that I'm a tad older, ;o) and a bit more tolerant, I say go for it to the folks who want something totally different...but for myself, I will hunt the tree lots for the perfect Frasier Fir to fill w/ memories. Just wish we could grow live ones here, as it still hurts to know this tree was cut down, and I'll have to discard it after the holidays. Will start earlier next year to find a live stand in for the Frasier that I can plant on our property. Keep the pics coming...it's better than the Dec issue of Country Home!! *Elaine*

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

Oh geez, Karen, I have a daughter who would jump on the black tree!! All of the walls in her house are a medium gray, and she has black carpet and black furniture. Her decorating is very nice, but I would find it depressing. It's just too dark!! A black tree would fit right in. She evidently hasn't seen them...thankfully!!

Grandmabarb, I love the old-fashioned look of your tree. The elf on the ladder is really neat!

~Sandy~

• countrygrl
    16 years ago

I'm so glad Kirk started this post! I love everyone's trees! They're all so different, and they tell alot about what each person likes, and their decorating style. You all inspire me to bring all those ornaments upstairs next year! It's funny, when I saw Kirk's post, I told my DH "They want to see everyone's Christmas tree! I have to decorate it now!". But then I saw Sandy's post, and I thought, what the heck, what you see is what you get!

• Dottie B.
    16 years ago

Oh, I just love everyone's trees....they are all so unique and different from each other. I wish I had room for more than one tree because I would love to do several different themed trees. I have so many ornaments that are bird themed, that I really want to do a bird tree. I also collect gardening related ornaments and have a bunch of old ones my grandmother made many many moons ago and of course ones I've made or were made for me.

Right now we are using a 4' tall pre-lit tree, mainly for space reasons, but I wish I had a full size tree again because I couldn't even fit all my ornaments on it this year....I probably could have if I tried, but I didn't try...LOL. If I ever get that sun room I've been wanting I am going to have a bunch of trees in there. We are also building a greenhouse next year and that might be a good place to decorate for the holidays.

Here's mine from this year....I wish I could put ribbon and tinsel on it, but my cat would go nuts....

{{gwi:129055}}

{{gwi:129056}}

• nonacook
    16 years ago

I love all the awesomely wonderful trees! I don't plan to have a tree. we haven't had a tree (except last year I did have an 18" one, since Bill was sick) in years and years! When we did craft shows, we were in the mall from 8am until 11pm and were never home to enjoy one. There are no grandchildren, and no one here but me and DD and SIL. They don't have a tree either.
    When we were first married we had 8' trees every year. The first ones were decorated with white, silver and green balls and of course we had 'lead' icicles (not those slippery ones like they have now). Then in 1969, purplemoon, I found me first purple balls and after that the green ones were left in the attic. I found some purple lights too (altho they were almost pink) and used white and purple lights.
    It almost makes me want to go to the attic!
    'Almost', I say! LOL
    I might put the small one out again, if I can find it!

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Nona, I'd love to go in your attic!! LOL.

Adina, I think having several trees is such fun. If you count my 3 little 2' ft ones, I have 7 in all this year. No big tree really, 5 ft is the tallest and that's the wall tree. I think themes are fun tho never did them before this year. A bird tree would be so cool with all your decorations, and little birdhouses and such. Maybe next year....? Or perhaps you could get a big wreath and do it with your birds? Lots of ways to use them besides trees if needed, garland around mirrors or mantles or whatever. I hope to get some nice bird ornaments after Xmas sales if I can. Saw some really pretty ones out this year.

hugs, Karen {{gwi:129057}}

• desertrat1
    16 years ago

HI everyone! Everyone's trees are all so nice. It's so neat that we all have the love for the tree---and yet so wonderful that there isn't a one the same as the next one! Here's my tree. The Ankeny's 2007 Christmas Tree This one I got after Crhistmas last year via the internet. The former tree spent about a long 15 years in our family. It was looking really like a Charlie Brown Tree (needles fell off every year-and it was a fakie too!) So, I begged and was able to find this beauty! It came flocked with pinecones and berries already on it! I have about 10 big boxes full of decorations- but I only used about 1-2 this year. I'm thinking that the less things we have the better. Closet/storage management is hard work and I don't get paid for it! :-)
    Oh yeah, this was taken on my NEW digital camera!!!
    WE're heading out tomrorrow for Oregon. Ya'll have a great Christmas. I'll be checking in too since I have access to a 'puter at my in laws place.
    Love, you guys!
    Jules
    PS: Ok, so I thought I knew HOW to post the actual picture to THE post, but the link is to a little picture! Well, I'll have to figure that one all out....

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

Heh heh...I was just going to say...you should have bought a bigger tree!

Have a safe trip and a wonderful Christmas!

{{gwi:129058}}

~Sandy~

• jeannespines
    16 years ago

This is a delightful posting! Thanks for sharing...I love ALL of the trees! I also like lots of trees and I am a sucker for buying them after Christmas. I have small ones 2-3 feet in 2 bedrooms, a bath ... and our biggest (fake one the last couple years) in LR and this one is in the dining room...it's my "snowman" tree...I leave it up for the winter (and sometimes that's a long time!) Also have a skinny neat one on the porch by the "ice skating pond."
    What fun!!! Got to find JOY in the winter weather! Jeanne S. I can't seem to string along more than 1 pic...so I will add one more post.
    {{gwi:129059}}

• jeannespines
    16 years ago

Here's the LR one...old Mr. & Mrs. Claus gets lot of attention from the "crawling grandchildren" ...it gets all the ornaments from over many years (well, a good portion anyway!) happy holidays! Jeanne S.

{{gwi:129060}}

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

I can't believe I forgot to post here ! I have a tree that I have bragged about and posted on so many forums -- it's the most special tree I've ever had. Why ? Because it's from one of our own - especially for me. I never used to be sentimental - but I think this will start it ~~~( I
    Can't believe I'm getting so sappy ! LOL ) ...

This little tree means the world to me ~~

{{gwi:128739}}

(((((((((( Sandy ))))))))))

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Toomuchglass, out of all the wonderful trees on this thread, I think yours is truly the most beautiful one of all. Its decorated by an angel here, and done with love.
    It may be tiny, but its got the whole spirit of Christmas wrapped up in those little branches.

hugs, Karen

• susiesunshine
    16 years ago

Hey Kids.... T H A N K S !!! for all the lovely Pictures !!!
    I just adore the many different Themes and Ideas !!!! each one is SOOOOOOO Special and not a single one alike....each one helping to be an extension of our lives and our feelings of FAMILY MEMORIES AND LOVING CHRISTMAS SPIRIT !!!!!!!!
    Let's Never ~~ Ever Let them take away our CHRISTMAS/ or our CHRISTMAS TREES !!!!!
    Stand Firm !!!! Unite TOGETHER!!!!!
    You'll Never EVER get the CHRISTMAS OUT OF ME !!!!!
    and I'll shout it from the roof tops.....
    " M E R R Y + C H R I S T MAS YA'LL and
    to all of YA'LL GOOD NITE !!!!!!'"
    Susie
    ho ho ho !

• backyardmom
    16 years ago

my christmas trees.one in the living room and one in the kitchen.http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f95/backyardmom/
    i hope this works.

• Bright199
    16 years ago

Well my tree is not as pretty as the other ones but I like it this year added some ribbon and tassels I made from instructions from a poster on the holiday forum... you should see the talent over there!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!

{{gwi:129035}}

Here is a link that might be useful: photos i hope

• ellens_joy
    16 years ago

GrandmaBarb, Just loved the pretty little birdhouse and the fantastic garden pointer. How clever you are!! Barb sent me a sign that she had made from an old piece of weathered board on which she had painted the prettiest yellow flowers on the left of the board. On the right of the board she had glued little tiny pointed pinecones in the shape of an arrow with blue jewels along the sides showing the way to the garden. On both the birdhouse and garden sign she had painted Ellens Joy. I am so happy that you were my Secret Santa as you nailed my personality to a tee. Thanks for the time you spent on my gift during this busy time of year. I love it. Ellen

• ellens_joy
    16 years ago

OOOPS... wrong post! Will post on the Secret Santa Post :)
    Sorry Ellen

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!