SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobn4burton

Why are my cucumber plants turning yellow? (pics)

bobn4burton
16 years ago

OK, so here's the deal. My garden did decent this year. I just finished a raised bed with cinderblocks this spring. I filled the bed with about 16 inches of my own 'soil-less' mix which consisted of evenly mixed peat, nutra-mulch, soil pep and compost from the landfill.

So I think the nitrogen was too high this first year because I had a lot of tomato blossoms falling off at the stem just above the flower. I also had a lot of pepper steams falling off just above the flower as well.

However, my neighbor was watering his lawn like crazy which ended up soaking my yard. So for 2/3 of the summer, my garden area had soo much water that all the walk ways between my raised beds were full of mud.

That's a touch of background info. So my cucumber plants did real well at first and then started to turn a light green into almost a yellow color. Then in the last week, the ends started to grow again which is why you can see some good colored leaves on the vine ends. They stopped producing fruit. I'm trying to decide why.

I figure it could be soil composition (N too high??)

Or it could also be too much water? Would my compost/organic mix suck up too much water from below?

Also, my tomatoes were doing pretty good (other than the blossoms falling off) until about 1-2 weeks ago. Then the bottom leaves started drying up. Now the bottom half of all the plants are dried up.

Anyways, any ifno on what is the problem would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to have even better luck next year...

Thanks for any help!

{{gwi:109209}}
{{gwi:109210}}
{{gwi:109211}}
{{gwi:109212}}
{{gwi:109213}}

Comments (4)