SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wbfair_gw

Help, new Ficus Trees loosing a lot of leaves

wbfair
14 years ago

Hello all

I know this a common request for help here but I just wanted to post my own questions just to be sure if Im doing the right thing. Second I apologize this is a bit long but I wanted to include all the details I thought could be relevant so hopefully any readers of this could please be patient and please read through it all as I really could use some help.

I bought two what I believe are weeping fig Ficus trees about three weeks ago from two separate nurseries.

Just to note these arent my first Ficus's and while Ive had some success in the past for a little while, I've typically managed to eventually kill all the ones Ive had so far.

So I brought them home and left them in the plastic pots them came in from the nurseries and have place them in large ceramic pots with drain holes and then put each on top of those hard clear plastic catch plates so that I could see when the watered was coming out and also protect my wood floors. I also added Spanish moss over the dirt to dress them up.

One is about 6 tall in a 10"x10" pot and is more branchy, the other is a little over 7 in a 14"x14" pot and was more topiary and full.

With the 6 plant I just put it in its present location and maybe cut one or two branches but more or less left it alone but with the 7 I had to trim it a bit an would say I cut off about 10% to 15% of the tree to get it to fit in it's current location.

The 7 gets a decent amount of indirect sun (when its sunny) for half the day while the 6' gets about half that.

Given the current outdoor temps and humidity at the time I got them I left the house open and let it get a little more warmer and humid then I usually would for about a week in hopes it would help them acclimate better and for the first few days I got a few leaves lost but not much reaction after that so I was pretty happy.

I watered them the both a bit the day I got them but waited a good week for the second watering to which I water them till I had water coming out of the bottom into the catch pans

Just towards the end of that first week I seem to get more leaf loss which seemed to subside a bit after I watered them.

Then I waited another week and watered them again in pretty much the same way.

During that time I did notice some progressing leaf loss toward the end of the week, and I began to noticed a good amount of them were green mature leaves too, but I it didnt seem to be a amount that had me worried.

Now its pretty much the end of the third week and I am getting some real heavy leaf loss, about 30 or so leaves in one night and Im starting to get worried.

About 20% of them are yellowed or dried leaves but the rest are nice full green mature leaves with most of the loss being at the lower part of the tree but its migrating upwards.

I have stuck my finger in the top of the soil and it defiantly isnt soaked. I guess I would call it moist although not overly so but it defiantly isnt dry and has a more dark brown to the color and not a tan color you would associate with dry soil.

As a last resort I stuck a thin piece of threaded rod down inside the pot of the 7 tree and pulled it out and the soil seems to have about the same amount of moisture through out its depth.

So what should I do now, should I let it go another week without watering and see if the leaf loss gets worse? Or should I water it?

Should I try spraying the leaves?

Also what are peoples feelings on the Spanish moss, I have always used that stuff an water directly though it but I have always killed the tress I had before to so could hat have anything to do with it?

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this and for any help.

Comments (2)