SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ltgf

Moonlight serenade

cait1
16 years ago

The air is chilly but I'm wearing my trusty scarf so I'm ready for anything the night throws at me. My veggie patch has been decimated. My precious Salvias nibbled to nothing. It's time to scour the dew dampened foliage on my nightly hunt for those destructive snails and slugs. Total so far this week: 430. And there's a lot more to be had.

I wind my way around the garden throwing the flashlight here and there, poking under shrubs and especially around pots. As I see these beasties of the night I stomp on them. They crunch beneath my boots and I do like the sound. Except for slugs. I can't step on slugs. It's just too messy. They get special treatment. I slice them in half with a stick or some similar object.

I know I sound cruel, but I need to protect my food supply. And some species of animal or insect is very happy to feed on the leftovers the next morning.

My last stop is my Secret Garden; Our Lady Gardyn. This is my favorite place to be. It feels like I'm entering a whole other world. Yes, "I must take pics and post updates" I think every time I step in there. I really need to put up the rest of the trellis. And except for the hedge that will one day make it a 'secret' garden, everything else is growing and there's a fullness about it.

I almost always enter the garden via the right pathway. See, no matter how long I live here I still have a tendancy to be on the 'right' side'. (They drive on the left here) I meander along Gueneviere Grove checking the new planting I managed over the last couple of weeks. Beasties love new planting with their tender shoots. I walk up the steps and stroll around King Arthur Circle. As I come a full 360 I see it...

Queen's Court is bathed in the most lovely moonlight! The medieval chairs are lit up and it's oh so inviting. I sit and gaze at the moon, almost full, perfectly sitting in the sky for me to enjoy. The air may be cool but the moonlight on my face feels warm. Everything is still; everything is quiet. This is heaven. And I wanted to share it with the best people on the web.

{{gwi:128095}}

Cait

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21