SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
althetrainer

Something destroyed my squash plant!

althetrainer
11 years ago

I went out to look at my squash plants this afternoon and noticed a dead vine. I traced it all the way to the root and realized the whole plant was cut from the ground up. Something had gnawed at the plant until it fell off its root.

I picked up the dead plant and proceeded to look for its root but it was nowhere to be found. I checked for vine borers but there was none in any part of it. I dug down where the root supposed to be expecting to find a hole left by a gopher but there was no hole! The ground was solid and packed with earthworms.

What kind of critter eats only the root of a plant, from above the ground?

I know we have something in our yard because there were a few holes near my plants. Many more holes are found outside our fence where we can't do anything about them. We have set traps (for gophers and for mice) inside our yard but didn't catch anything.

We also have a lot of holes in our front lawn where we set traps and caught two rodents (mice or small rats).

At this point I am not too concerned about the front lawn; so far nothing has been eaten or destroyed and we're catching the hole dwellers. But I really worry about my squash plants. They have just started to bear fruits and I am afraid whatever that did the evil deed will continue to eat one root at a time until there is no more.

Comments (4)