SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katydidit33

Need Help with Moss over the Winter

katydidit33
10 years ago

Hi everybody - I'm brand spankin' new here and am so glad I found this place. I plan to spend lots of time grazing. But I came in through Google while looking for answers to my very specific problem and am hoping all the collected expertise here might be able to help. (Most terrarium or vivarium info doesn't work for my situation.)

Background:
This is a fairy garden bed that I've coddled since May/June. I loved the one I started with but my groundcovers edges didn't do well and others didn't recover from freezing. So I decided to try a re-do, with bigger ideas. No figures or art this summer -- just maintenance of live mosses I bought online (see pic). That's an old aluminum saucer sled with a few holes drilled into the bottom. I added deeper dirt around the edges before setting the moss. I'm still worried about the edges but might replace with baby tears or such where needed. Any ideas on that -- really shallow dirt at edges?

Problem:
I have to 'winterize' this large moss bed inside (Connecticut). (1) I don't know what room to put it in, all of which have only partial morning or afternoon light. That includes an unheated garage and a rarely used but warmer family room. Ironically, I have no windows facing the north side, where it's happiest when outside. (2) I don't know how to keep it consistently humid with our electric heat. The saucer sits on a drainage saucer, so I'm thinking I should water (lightly) along the edges, along the path, and into the large hill once a week. And I could mist often but am very afraid of out-of-sight, out-of-mind. So I'm wondering if I could use a light clear plastic over it to contain humidity, with sticks for tents and slots/cutouts for a little air. Better for both of us?

The garden bed went to our glassed-in porch for a week or so and I had to bring it in today (freezing begins here). I sure don't want to lose this now but I'm still missing that inspiration I know is out there somewhere. I can set it on a stool anywhere. Flat surface is limited to one western window with maybe three hours of sunlight -- or the dining room table .

Does anybody have an idea for me?

Big thanks -
Katie

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County