SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

It's here!!!!! The 2008 Secret Santa Exchange!!!!

kirkus
15 years ago

HO! HO! HO! MERRY CHRISTMAS! Hi Everyone! I organized the Garden Junk Secret Santa Exchange last year and would love to do so this year as well. Although it was a GREAT deal of work last year, I was rewarded by the JOY of others when they received their gifts. I learned soooooo much last year so will have definite guidelines this year. If you would like to join in on the FUN, please be COMMITTED to do the following:

1. In order to participate in the Garden Junk Secret Santa Exchange, you MUST be someone who has posted on the Garden Junk forum in the past or currently.

2. Then, go to MY PAGE (above) and send me an e-mail by Friday, October 31. (PLEASE NO LATE PARTICIPANTS.) Include the following information in the e-mail you send to me. (Please know that being a teacher, I understand the importance of being confidential and will share your information with no one.):

a. "SECRET SANTA" in the subject line of the e-mail you send to me.

b. Your Garden Web name

c. Your name and address

d. The e-mail address where I can e-mail you the person for whom you are to buy a gift for.

e. State your Garden Junk Tastes: For example: rustic treasuresÂ

3. Find a "treasure" from a garage sale, thrift store, etc. for a Garden Web friend from "Santa". Spend $5 OR LESS on the item. (Garden Web junkers have been known to find free items!) It would be great (but not required) if the item could be used in some way outside! If you feel crafty, you could even make something! Wrap the item and send it to the personÂs name you receive.

4. Be COMMITTED to mail the item by DECEMBER 1st.

5. Be COMMITTED to post a picture and/or thank you on the CONVERSATIONS side of the forum once you receive your gift.

I canÂt wait to start hearing from people! I will be e-mailing out Secret Santa names the first week of November! You will be receiving a personÂs name and address at that time. DoesnÂt this sound like fun?

In the coming weeks, if you post something on the DISCUSSIONS side of the forum, you might want to mention about the Secret Santa Exchange on the CONVERSATIONS side. Have a Beary Merry Christmas! Bear Hugs! Kirk

P.S. If you are willing to send a gift to another country, please let me know in your e-mail.

Comments (49)

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Thank you soooooooo much for doing this again! I know you worked very hard last year and it was a great success and so much fun. I just know it will be even better this year.

hugs,
    Karen

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karen, It was such a joy to see everyone's excitement last year! I loved seeing that joy carried over to the post where people shared their pictures! Everyone was so happy and giddy! Some people couldn't wait and opened their presents early. LOL I didn't open mine early but poked a hole in the wrapping paper to try to see my gift! HA! It'll be a blast again this year. BEAR HUGS! Kirk

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

THANK YOU, KIRK (AND CAROL!) I received your e-mail and was happy to hear that you are willing to give your time again this yr. It was SO MUCH FUN reading the posts last yr. and being a kid again! I will send you my info.

Also, let's remember to "bump" this posting up for this month of Oct. Have a great week! Jeanne S.

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Whoohoo...I was so hoping you would do it again this year!! Last year's exchange was so much fun!! Like Jeanne said...it was like being a child again. Even DH was excited about it! (For us...it's probably the 'second childhood' thing! LOL)

I can hardly wait to see who I get this year!

Thank you so much for doing this for us. I know you and Carol put a lot of time and effort into this last year. You're both the greatest!

I'm outta here...checkin' out the stuff set out for unlimited trash pickup! There must be something neat out there I can work with! chuckle

{{gwi:127962}}

~Sandy~

PS...If I get your name, Kirk, I'm packing your gift in a metal box...that you can't poke holes in! LOL

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Awww...gee...I just told DH I signed up for Secret Santa. We both had so much fun with it last year, he wanted to know if I could sign up again under an assumed name!! Double the fun! LOL LOL

~Sandy~

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Thanks Kirk and Carol for taking out the time and effort to organize the Secret Santa again! It was so much fun last year and I loved the gifts I got from Carol. I am going to zoom over to email and zip off my info to you!

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Well, I wasn't lucky enough to have found this site last year, but I'm sure game this year! Thanks so much Kirk and Carol for taking this project on again! I'm so looking forward to seeing what everyone does!

• mzclassic
    15 years ago

Thanks Kirk and Carol. I didn't get in on it last year, but will certainly join in this year. Thanks for all your dedicated hard work. We all appreciate it!

Donna in Florida

• Dottie B.
    15 years ago

Oh, thank you Kirk! I was just thinking about this today! So glad you are willing to organize this again!!! I'll be sending off my e-mail to you this afternoon!

I haven't posted much in the last couple of months...been getting ready for my first ever craft show. But I will be sure to keep up to date now....Thanks again!!

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We have 14 people signed up for the Secret Santa Exchange so far. Like last year, this is going to be so much FUN! I've gotten some e-mails from some pretty EXCITED garden junkers! I'll be sending out the Secret Santa names on November 1st. If you have already sent me an e-mail, you should have received an e-mail back from me, saying I'm adding you to the list. If you haven't, please let me know. BEAR HUGS! Kirk

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

For those who don't know Kirk and Carol well yet, here's photos of them for you.....

{{gwi:127963}}
    {{gwi:127964}}

hugs, Karen

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ahhhhh........Karen, You are soooooooo nice! Did you draw the whiskers on my angel? With the whiskers, it looks like me... (except I don't have a halo! LOL) Looks like my cute Carol too... she should have the halo! You made my day! Thank you! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Yep, your angel was clean-shaven and had forgotten to wear his glasses. LOL. That halo can be shining down on BOTH of you. And I don't want to leave out precious little Benjamin and his darling sister, Olivia....

{{gwi:127965}}{{gwi:127966}}

hugs, Karen

• toomuchglass
    15 years ago

I can't believe I didn't post to this ! I was in last years exchange -- I got the best-est gift EVER - I was awestruck . I'm using it everyday . That's how GREAT this exchange is !!!

This forum probably exchanges the best gifts ever .... and it's not the price . Everybody put a piece of their heart into every project. I could tell by the pics and the reactions. A little means alot . I wish everyone shared the hearts of Junkers ..... (((((((((HUGZ )))))))))))

• princess_mimi
    15 years ago

I was so excited that I sent my info to Kirk and forgot to post here! I'm in! This year I'll use TONS of bubble wrap and peanuts to get my present there in one piece.

I'm already scheming!

~~Mimi

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's sooooo good to see so many familiar names and new names to the Secret Santa list! We have 16 people signed up so far! Keep spreading the news! It's going to be so much FUN again this year! Love the excitement! Karen, love the little angels as well!!! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We're up to 19 people joining in on the Secret Santa Exchange! YAHOO! If you're joining in on the fun, now would be a good time to update your "My Page" so your Secret Santa could learn more about you. This is going to be soooooooo much FUN!!!! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• princess_mimi
    15 years ago

Did you all notice that Kirk says we need to be committed twice in the original post? I wonder what he's trying to tell us? Hmmmmmm.....committed to where?

~~Mimi =)

• ellens_joy
    15 years ago

oops! I am like Princess Mimi, got so excited to email Kirk that I forgot to post here that I signed up again this year for the Secret Santa fun! Can't wait to see who I get and start planing for his or her's gift. Thanks Kirk and Carol for taking on this big job at one of the busiest times of the year. You two are amasing! Ellen

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

I have not done this before but I love my Garden Junk Friends and who doesn't love Christmas!
    Merry Christmas !
    *********************Tanya*********************************

• Bright199
    15 years ago

Well I haven't posted here either... but I'm in again this year!!
    Kirk and Carol you are such dears to do it again!!! I know it takes sooo much time.

Thank you!!

• leveta
    15 years ago

I signed up a couple weeks ago. I'm so excited... This is what makes the holidays fun....

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Less than 2 weeks until the October 31st deadline to enter the exchange! I have enjoyed everyone's e-mails and these posts! The excitement is building! We have 20 people signed up so far. (Remember, if you post a post on the discussions side, try to mention the Secret Santa Exchange.) I'll be sending out names on November 1st. My wife Carol will draw someone to get me and draw a name for me as I want to participate in the fun as well!!! :o) I'm so EXCITED for the fun to begin! I have been planning a garden gift for my person but have to wait to see who I get!!!! Carol will participate again this year as well. I LOVE CHRISTMAS AND OUR GARDEN JUNK FRIENDS!!!! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• Dottie B.
    15 years ago

I am getting excited also! This was so much fun last year!

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

I'm so excited! I'm so glad I came over to this side so I didn't miss it.
    kathy

• ohgirl
    15 years ago

Oh My!! I'am just in time!!
    I read about this last year and missed it!!! Not this time!!
    My info is on the way!!
    Thank-you all for all the great ideas!!!
    I love "Garden Junk" forum. And I've made so many things from your ideas!!!!

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

Count me in again too(-:

• chelcass
    15 years ago

Oh wow! May I join in your Secret Santa Exchange? I did one last year with a scrollsaw group I belong to and what fun.

Thanks, ChelCass

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes! Join in Chelcass! It was so much fun last year! Just e-mail me your information. :o) 28 people have signed up so far! I'll send out SS names next Saturday and the fun REALLY begins! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• huntermom
    15 years ago

Oh, I emailed Kirkus, but forgot to post here. Posted some time back, but read regularly. Am very excited. Just hope I can live up to the greatness on this board. Edie

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

I have tried to figure out how to post but can't seem to get it. Can someone help with that so that I will be eligible for the secret santa? I have responded to a few posts...

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

OK Now that I figured out how to post I have also signed up for the SS. I am looking forward to it. I have never done one of these before. Thank you Kirk and Carol for organizing this...I already feel like a kid waking up on Christmas morning.

• laurastheme
    15 years ago

Count me in. I wasn't here last year. Sounds like loads of fun!!

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There are 33 people signed up so far! Yahoo! The deadline is Friday, October 31st...less than a week away. The Secret Santa Exchange is going to be soooooo much fun! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Ok all I'm on board. I've not done one either, so am excited to see what we all can come up with.

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

I'm bumping this up...so we don't get confused with the 2007 SS post!

I'm anxious to find out who I get to give to...so many great GJer's on this site! I tried to update "My Page" but I can't seem to get it saved...I'll try again later!

Come join the fun, you GJer's! Jeanne S.

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

OK, I just email Kirk with my info. So I'm In! ho ho ho ... ~tenderlee

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jeanne, Thanks for bumping this up as some of the rules have changed. I was thinking too that some of last year's posts have bumped up and may be confusing. So...this is the 2008 Official posting. Let's keep bumping this up. Carol and I will be sending out names on Saturday. It will probably be an all-nighter again this year as 38 people have signed up for the exchange and I have dial-up for my computer! LOL I can't wait for the FUN to really begin! Remember this year we have a deadline of mailing your gift out by the first week of December. Ho Ho Ho! Kirk

• kairethebloomingfool
    15 years ago

yahhooooooo
    I sent my info! It was so fun last year

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The deadline is quickly approaching... Friday at midnight (PST). Remember no late-comers since once we send out names there is no one left to match people up with. When you wake up Saturday morning, you should have a Secret Santa person! Ho Ho Ho! Santa always comes at night!

I'll start a post in which you can let us know that you received your person's name. I keep a check-off list just so I know that everyone received their e-mail. Some people didn't respond for weeks last year and I worried terribly.

This is a great time to update your "My Page" for your Secret Santa person. Jeanne, I had the same problem last year with up-dating "My Page". I would type in the information, and the changes wouldn't show up. Soooo, I typed it up on WORD and then quickly cut and pasted and submitted it, and it worked. Hope that helps!

This is going to be sooooooooooo much fun! Thanks for letting us organize the exchange. Bear Hugs! Kirk (alias Santa) and his accomplice Carol

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, just wanted to share that we have 42 people signed up for the exchange this year! Should be FUN! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

I'm thinking LindaSew&Sew needs to whip up a Lil Elf suit for Carol :-)

Getting exciting! ~tenderlee

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Thanks, Kirk...that cut & paste from Word worked in "My Page" update. Anyone looking to update, it's tricky to find...Look at the very top when you open GJ site...then to the right of "i Village GARDEN WEB...THE INTERNET'S GARDEN AND HOME COMMUNITY"...you will see "Welcome Your Profile or Log Out." Click on Your Profile and you can update your page. Just passin' this on...cause it took me awhile to find it again! Lookin' forward to findin' out my SS's name. Jeanne S.

• meadel
    15 years ago

I've been "absent" from this forum for a long while. But I want to say that Santa Kirk and Mrs. Santa Carol are the best ! Although, I can not join in this year, I want to wish you all the very best holiday season ! You are all truly wonderfully creative people !! I'll enjoy watching the fun explode here !
    Lori

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Awww meadel, wish you could join us! It's my first SS ever, and it's excting! Tomorrow I find out who my "person" is! Can't wait to start looking for something special just for them. That's a good excuse to go junkin' LOL. ~tenderlee

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I'm in!! Nothing like bringing up the rear!! It's not midnight so sign up so you can take part in the fun!!! Thanks, Kirk & Carol!!

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

I got my name...Now the fun begins...I can't wait!...Micki

• chelcass
    15 years ago

Got my swap partners name. Had to go into town today so I stopped by my Goodwill just on the outside chance they might have something.............Boy Oh boy Oh Boy! Did I hit the mother lode and some of the stuff was half price so that meant I could buy even more..LOL

I just hope somebody can pry these gems out of my little hands. This is the kind of stuff I am always on the lookout for................Sigh!!

It's going to be a G R R R R R R E A T Christmas!!

Chelcass

• Dottie B.
    15 years ago

So sorry you cannot join us Meadel. I love the gift you sent me so much! Maybe next year.