SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken_platt

What pest chews off cucurbits at the base?

ken_platt
16 years ago

Folks -

I've been having a tough year for squash and cucumbers. Some critter seems to be chewing right through the stem of big, mature, productive plants. One day I'll have a healthy plant, then the next day it's dead on the ground with the base of the stem separated, and appearing to be chewed.

I do not think it's squash vine borer, as I've not seen any worms, and two of the cucumber plants this happened to were grown completely under floating fabric, and I mean completely. The fabric was lifted briefly for harvesting, and that's it.

I don't think it's cucumber beetles, as I really haven't seem many of them, and I'm used to the gradual wilting over a few days or longer that they cause by transmitting disease.

I _have_ had a lot of rodent problems this year. Mice, voles, and I think at least one chipmunk. I've been putting out traps quite a bit, and have been killing mice and voles, and just today one of the big traps got something that looked like a chipmunk, but without a stripe, just a uniform colored coat.

The most recent cucumber victim actually had a foam ring around the base of the stem to protect it (a piece of pipe insulation) but when I found the dead plant today and looked at the foam, it was chewed through, and that's just since yesterday.

Is this a known vole/mouse behavior? Is it some other rodent or pest? Why the heck would a rodent kill a plant rather than eat the fruit (none of the cucumbers on the plant were touched)? I'm used to finding nibbled-on carrots and potatoes, which makes sense to me as normal feeding. Why go for a prickly hard stem, and every time right at the base of the plant?

I've been vegetable gardening for 20 years, but this is a new one for me. I'd be grateful for any thoughts, remedies, or assistance - or even just commiseration.

Ken

dejected and cucumberless in northern connecticut

Comments (3)