SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shadara_gw

Update on my Peace Lily

shadara
14 years ago

I'm having so much fun with my new roommate - my peace lily! I haven't done much with plants for years (thinking that I'd kill 'em all no matter what). Seems that all this time, my friends and family just made poor choices on what plants to give me as gifts, LOL. So I did some research and bought my own plant this time.

Since the purchase of my new friend a month or so ago, I've noticed and learned some neat things (along with the wealth of info from expert plant peeps here on this forum - Thanks A Bunch!).

I was excited to have a new, living, green thing in my room and I really wanted to spoil it. It was hard not to overdue it with enthusiasm (wanting to water it all the time, frequent misting, washing leaves, freaking at the littlest thing, etc), but I restrained myself.

Including looking like a complete dum-dum frantically posting here about "white funk" that was simply POLLEN from the flowers/spathes, it's a great feeling learning the little cues plants give you about it's current care and situation.

So far I've noticed:

-It likes the pebble tray I gave it.

-It likes to be watered and drained no less and no more than about once a week.

-My cat chewed a leaf once, survived, and has never done it again.

-A newly forming spathe just coming out of it's leaf/stalk is more beautiful than the fully formed spathe (IMHO). (see picture)

-It complains if spathe gets too close to window - either from too much sun or got too cold by glass a couple of nights in a row. (see other pictures)

-The air in my room seems cleaner and smells better (even if it IS mostly psychological, it's due to my plant being there, haha).

-It told me I over-watered it once by displaying 2 small yellow leaves at the base.

-It doesn't complain from a misting on leaves-only once or twice a week.

-It's giving me a few hints that either 1) it needs a lil' bit of fertilizer or 2) it might enjoy a slightly bigger pot, but I'm giving it time to think about it. :)

Sorry if you feel this post is a bit silly, but I'm just really enjoying my new friend and had to share! And thanks again to any and all that has helped me with plants thus far.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Spath...

Comment (1)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals