SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

what is bolting and how do you prevent it?

My gardening zone is 4 and I live in Boyne City Michigan; this town is in the northern part of the lower peninsula.

I have an idea of what bolting is. I know it effects cool weather vegetables; most of what bolting effects is leafy green things like spinach, cabbage, bok choy, lettuce,

and cabbage. I know bolting also is a problem with

broccoli and cauliflower.

When the weather becomes too hot they start to produce flowers and go to seed. Then what you're growing is essentially ruined because it makes the vegetable taste bitter.

I know that the main cause of bolting is when the weather becomes too hot. However I've also heard another cause

of bolting is when you plant stuff in summer and then the days make the transition from becoming longer to becoming shorter.

I planted spinach and romaine lettuce in about Mid-July.

It's starting to become darker earlier. Unfortunately there is really not much I can do about the days becoming shorter.

I know that cool weather crops should be planted in spring and that it's riskier to plant them in mid-summer because it's hotter. However I just recently relocated to Michigan.

I arrived here in June and realized that when I started to plant stuff it was late start, because I didn't plant

most of my stuff until about mid-July.

I am growing daikon radish, which is a white variety of radish that is bigger and longer than red radishes. I see little clusters at the top of the plant that look like

flower buds. I don't know if it's possible for daikon or any variety of radish to bolt. However is what I just described bolting in daikon? Will it ruin the flavor of my daikon and should I just pull it up and start over?

How can I prevent bolting? Next year I would like to try and plant stuff in spring, but when in Michigan is the ideal time to plant stuff? What is considered the beginning of the growing season? I've never tried to grow stuff in Michigan before so I don't know what is the beginning of the growing season in Michigan, when it's too late to plant stuff, and when is the end of the growing season in Michigan. I don't know what the first and last frost dates are, and even if I did I don't understand what those terminologies mean. If somebody could please clarify then I'd appreciate it.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living