SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnabaskets

Sometimes I feel stupid..Or, what's the deal with paste tomatoes?

Donna
10 years ago

So, last year I grew my first ever paste tomatoes: Amish Paste, Juliet, and San Marzano. They were dry and flavorless. I mixed them with my beefsteaks and canned them, straining out the pulp to make tomato juice. I threw the pulp away. THEN, I found a You Tube video showing that I could have taken that pulp and cooked it down a bit for sauce, spaghetti sauce, things like that. Dumb.

So, this year, I grew no paste tomatoes because they were flavorless last year. Yesterday, I canned tomatoes (beefsteak) and used the recipe for Italian sauce in the Ball Blue Book. Well, I think I will be able to make an excellent minestrone soup from it, but it's entirely too watery to call it spaghetti sauce.

Last night it hit me. I didn't have any paste tomatoes this year. Maybe that's why I couldn't get thick sauce!

Is this correct? Are paste tomatoes supposed to be flavorless for eating fresh, but when cooked, they make a nice thick sauce?

Another question. If you live in the Deep South and you grow a good paste tomato, what is it?

I would really like to get it right next year. I may not have enough years left to keep learning this all the hard way! :)

Comments (20)