SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mzclassic

Disability?

mzclassic
15 years ago

Well I felt I had to vent a little. I am being forced to go on Disability. I have severe emphysema and have been still working full time even though some days I just don't want to go out the door. My breathing is getting to the point that it wears me out to do most things. My only problem with disability is that I am divorced and don't know if I can make it on the amount I will get. Geez, you work all your life and the government doesn't wanna hep ya much. LOL I have an appointment with SS on 5/7 so I will see what the figures will be. They said an approx amount would be $1046/mo. YiKeS - - I could go under. Scary, scary. Okay I feel better now and will get down off my sloping soapbox.

Thanks for your ears.

Donna

Comments (13)

• leveta
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry...I'm a firn believer that things will work out no matter what our fears are... Maybe you can suplemant your income with your passion for creations like you do here...You will be in my prayers for one door closeing and another opening....God Bless...

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Make sure you check into low-income housing. There are some lovely apartments in our area, some have balconies or patios and allow pets. I believe the rent is set at a 1/3 of your income and it includes utilities except phone and internet. And when you are on disability, I do believe they only count your actual income not including any food stamps and other benefits you might qualify for. Check into food stamps/vouchers/card too. Even $200 worth a month can take you a long way.

I can relate. I work full-time but have arthritis, exercise-induced asthma, fibromyalgia and chronic fatique syndrome. My employer has been incredibly accomodating. I'm just waiting for the day they get sick of me sleeping at my desk. lol! I know the day is soon coming when I won't be able to work any more either so I have seriously looked at what would happen if I did end up on disability.

Make sure you look into all the benefits I mentioned and I'm sure there are more too. Your local social services office does make you work to get the benefits though! They don't seem to like to advertise what you would be eligible for.

I looked at my work income versus what I'd get on diability. Depending upon where you work, consider the money you WON'T be spending. I would save on lunches that I eat out. (I HAVE to get away from the office each day!) I'd save considerably on my health care costs (you don't want to know what it cost me each month for my insurance through my employer and my out of pocket costs). I'd save quite a bit on my gas consumption because I wouldn't have to drive the 24 mile roundtrip each day to and from work. Driving less, I wouldn't put as much wear and tear on my car. I wouldn't have to have 2 wardrobes - 1 for work and 1 for home. Plus you will have more time for coupon clipping, looking at ads to find the best bargains and fixing meals from scratch versus buying packaged foods. Once I compared the two, I could survive on disability. And don't discount the fact that you can still work a part-time job while getting disability.

In our area, there are senior centers (for 60+ ... and I'm not sure if you qualify! lol) that have exercise equipment, computers, meals and entertainment. The daily lunches are $2 and my Bob has gone there quite a bit and says the food is great. There is a ridiculously low annual fee (like $15) to use the exercise equipment and computers.

There is help out there but it sure isn't easy to find unless you know where to look! Hopefully you can find someone at your local social services office who can help you get all the benefits you qualify for. Good luck ... you will be in my thoughts and prayers!

• Related Discussions

How to disable John Deere X300 RIO

Q

Comments (10)
    I bought a X300 at the start of the summer. It is there, you have to really look hard for it. It is next to the forward foot control on the top of the frame. You will need a 10mm socket to remove it. I removed it, tie-wrapped it closed, then tie-wrapped it to the frame. I also removed the park brake switch. Drilled a hole in the dash next to the key. Mounted the switch next to the key. You have to push the switch in to start, then release it. It's nice though, you don't have to engage the brake to start the mower. Both "fixes" are done so that I can put them back to "factory" if needed. You would want to do that if you have to bring the mower in for service. If you don't the dealer will do it for you.
    ...See More

This c’puter challenged Grannie needs help, my iPad has been disabled.

Q

Comments (4)
    Update. Last night I was able to download iTunes to my HP laptop. Silly me, I connected the iPad to HP, pulled up iTunes and expected the iPad to open and give me the opportunity to reset a password. Not so! Then I read, re-read all the iPad links I could find on iTunes. I have a huge headache! I’ve loved having my iPad these past years!!! I use it solely for recreational purposes. Connecting with others who enjoy my hobbies. Primarily gardening, mostly with orchids. Square dancing. Keeping up with family & close friends via social media. Shopping, since I live in ‘the boonies’ far from any shopping malls. And simple games, scrabble, half dozen word games, card games, 42, solitaire. No internet games. Very boring to the current generations I suppose! Must I sync to the HP? Does this mean I’ll start all over with content of the iPad? Will I lose my email addresses, forum links?
    ...See More

Tips for choosing/working with contractors on disability renovations?

Q

Comments (0)
    I'm interested in rennovating the in-law suite on my property to accommodate my disabled father (he is wheelchair bound). Does anyone have any tips about navigating this process? We'll be doing a full bathroom rennovation, replacing flooring, and adding ramps to the exterior.
    ...See More

Can I disable the remote/dimming functionality in a ceiling fan?

Q

Comments (1)
    Without the remote you can't adjust the fan speed. Is that okay? Does the fan have bulbs that are replaceable? What's the brand and model of the fan?
    ...See More
  • Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Donna, I'm glad you were able to vent with us. I'm a firm believer in a burden shared is a burden lightened. And our GJ family is the best when it comes to support and prayers.

I know this is a scary time for you, its not easy to deal with unwelcome Life changes.

Blessings and hugs,
    Karen

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

mzclassic...my thoughts and prayers will be with you...you just go ahead & vent & keep venting to "whomever" it takes to get you where you need to be!

Unlike your situation, I tried to get disability but was turned down three times...and the next trip I would have had to go to court & prove that I am "really sick." I decided the mental stress of already dealing with a rare chronic illness & the sadness of leaving my job (I loved my work!) when I tried to go back & lasted only 2 wks and ending up exhausted & back in the hospital for a new problem...anyway, it was not worth it. Disability said with my education & now had use of my hands & legs again, that I could find another job in another field...I was close to retirement (60)...so I'm sure that would have been an "easy task!" Now I am "re-venting" again!!!

Anyway, mzclassic, I would recommend that you take diability & do alot of checking into other things (like luna suggests)...and just "hang in there" and look at the options...& "jump thru the hoops"... whatever it takes...but I agree with you, it would scare me to death also! I was fortunate because I have my DH's retirement & then when I could collect disability insurance (part of my wages) for awhile & then at retired last yr. at 62). I also, like luna, had a very supportive workplace...sometimes the system doesn't work as it should. Prayers coming your way! Jeanne S.

• nanagrandma
    15 years ago

Mzclassic my prayers are with you! I think when you get SSI Disability you get Medicare. Also if you were married long enough you can piggyback on your EX's SS. and it does not affect his SS and get possibly more SS based on his income. Check into all that Luna advised, I know that right now you are OVERWHELMED so all this is hard to do. But we are all praying for you and unload anytime that helps!

God Bless You

Sylvia

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I lost my DH 24 yrs ago, surprising what you can learn to do without. Look at this as a great opportunity to try to do something you really like. Did SS approve you going out on disability? Around here it is very difficult to get on. I was going to suggest your ex's SS (nana did) if you were married 20 yrs I think you can get it even if he is remarried. Some TS's have amazing things from clothes to medical supplies to GJ. Have you got a garage full of stuff you never use- have yard sale,spare car needing fixing up-sell it! Look for cheaper housing, if house paid for, can you make taxes, ins. & repairs? Out here some people have group come that help seniors & they get work done free repairing house. If you car is costing you a lot sell it & get an older one ,if leased buy used 1 so it is your's! Have a mechanic check out car before you buy used 1. Shop 99 cent or dollar stores? check them out. Don't need to spend $4 for pretty paper napkins when you can get them for 99cents,they have mouthwash, toothpaste & all kinds of everyday things cheaper than grocery store of dept. store. Good Luck & there are lots of other ideas above, make a list, figure out grocery bill, cleaning bill, all that & look for ways to cut back. Do you drink a $ 4 cup of coffee,& have a donut for breakfast. Make coffee at home & buy dozen day old & warm 1- 10 sec. in microwave (freeze rest) make up dishes from scratch & freeze in portions size you would eat for 1 meal, spagetti with the meat & sauce, beef stew,chicken spagetti etc all freeze well,label & have at least 3-4 kinds made up so you get variety much cheaper & less sodium than TV dinners. With your condition should be on lower sodium diet & so much easier by making from scratch. Cook chicken breasts cut in about 4 pieces each(get done faster) in little butter & 1-2 qt water & use part of cooked chicken in chicken spagetti & save the water(broth) & rest of chicken for a hearty chicken soup by cooking up some kind of pasta,16 oz. reg. or wheat, 2-16oz pkg. mixed veggies plus 1 lb carrots, 6 stalks celery in bite sized pieces onion powder or cut up onions- cook those veggies in microwave & mix in with broth & diced chicken & the cooked pasta & some dried parsley for a soup you can almost eat with a fork,& pretty too, just simmer the mix for about 15 min. Precooking veggies in micorwave leaves the broth in tact so it doesn't all disappear. Freeze in 2 cup containers. Jan

• mzclassic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for your kind words, I really appreciate it. I can't look for cheaper housing because I own my home and do not want to loose it. I will look into the other things, but I am already a pretty thrifty person cause I have to be. I wasn't married long enough to get any of my ex's benefits, so that won't work. SS said it would probably take about 3 months for it to go thru. My breathing has been below their levels since 2004 and I have been making myself go to work. But its getting harder and harder. Just keep me in your thoughts and prayers and we shall see how it goes.

Donna in Florida

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Donna, first of all I hope that your health will hold steady and not worsen. I'm at a loss with advice, other than agreeing with the good advice the other members gave. Only other thing I will add is to try to stay positive, and try not to worry too much. I just know there will be a way for you to get by with some adjustments. Wishing you the very best always ~tenderlee

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

I hope you are able to keep your home, Donna! One thing good about diability isn't it isn't based upon your income like welfare or benefits like my mother's nursing home. And you are allowed to work part-time and still receive disability so if you are able to work a few hours a week, that is a little extra income. Or do like the Golden Girls (remember that wonderful TV show?) and get some room mates (some of us would gladly move in with you in Florida!). Feel free to vent. You will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers!

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

mzclassic...I am so glad you own your home & plan on staying in it...change in health is bad enough. Will continue to keep you in good thoughts and prayer ... and that your breathing will come easier for you. From your posts of comments, I can see that you are a "positive" and strong woman. Keep doing what you are doing! It's working! And you have a beautiful family! Jeanne S.

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

The $1046. is before they deduct $96 I think it is for medicare so don't forget that. Maybe you could find a roommate that has a good job & mostly wants to come home & relax. Can you divide off part of house so you don't even have to interact? Got a guest house or large garage you can turn into studio apt. GF's son just put up wall at end of hall & had a 2 room/bath apt with side enterance. Hope it all works out for you! Jan

• mzclassic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. Sunnyca, I can't get on medicare until I'm 65 so the $1046 is what I would get, plus I can work part time and only earn $900 per month. I can't section my house off and don't have a garage, so really don't want to think about a roommate. I know it would help but I just am funny about someone having access to everything I own. I have been on my own for many years and guess I am set in my ways on some things. Hopefully I will be able to start making things to sell and do a little accounting for a friend on the side for cash. I'm not gonna give up and am trying to think possitive. Though sometimes its hard.

Donna in Florida

• backyardmom
    15 years ago

Donna I had to go on SSDI. I had to fight for 4 yrs to get it.I had 4 heart attacks ,one was a massive,I have severe arthrithis,fibromyagia,tarlov cyst on my spine.I had a lawyer,After you get it you can go on medicare.I did and I'm only 58.But they take that out of your check,Then you have to get a ins for your meds.I did it thur SS it's $45
    a month.Then I had to get the secondary heath ins which is $197 a month..But I couldn't work anymore.But you will save on gas and food .Plus the stress will be gone..But I still have my DH,but with me losing my pay was still a burden.Things do work out.But I think the first turn down get a lawyer.And the once you win SS they pay you in one lum sum what you would of gotten from the time you applied for SS til you get it.That will also help,But they don't take taxes out,so you will need to set alittle aside for uncle sam.. LOL Joan