SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ghadames

How to pre-moisten peat moss for planting blueberry in container

Ghadames
9 years ago

Growing blueberry plants in containers has always been a challenge. I've realized that the ones I grew last year didn't have dark green leaves and weren't strong enough.

Long story short, as soil, I only used Fafard Low pH Planting Mix (thinking it would be good enough). But I've read that peat moss is great for blueberries. So I mixed 50% of dry peat moss and 50% of Fafard Low pH Planting Mix in a container with the plant. Like many others, when I started watering it, it was only then that I realized peat moss doesn't absorb water well.

So my question: If I have to pre-moisten peat moss, how can I do it without using tap water (since it is said to be harmful for blueberry plants)? I don't have enough rainwater at the moment. Distilled water is an option, but will cost me a bit. Can I just use tap water only once to prepare the soil?

I also want to ask about the soil composition:

Fafard Low pH Planting Mix contains:
- sphagnum peat moss
- aged softwood bark
- Biosol compost
- sand

If I do 50/50 peat moss and Fafard Low pH Planting Mix, is it good enough? I can also buy and add perlite. I know pine bark fines soil conditioner is recommended, but I've had no luck finding a store that sells anything that has to do with pine bark. Or maybe I haven't looked carefully enough.

This post was edited by Ghadames on Thu, May 22, 14 at 21:03

Comments (13)