SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginnyjj9b

How to keep new Santa Rosa Plum very small?

ginjj
12 years ago

I bought a Santa Rosa plum as a pollinator for a plum and a pluot in my garden. I know Santa Rosa plums grow very large. I am hoping to be able to keep it small, say 6 feet. For years I've read and tried to do the Backyard Orchard Culture concept of spring and summer pruning, with little luck. I had professionals do it, this tree I'm going to try to do myself.

I planted it last January 2011 I am fairly certain; not Jan 2010.

I have taken many pruning classes, watched people prune, done a fair amount of reading and remain very confused about how to prune correctly. As a result of my uncertainty I tend not to do anything. I cannot let that happen this time.

The tree stands 6 feet now. there are 3 main scaffolds about a foot off the ground. Each of these scaffolds branch off into 3-5 new branches about another foot up. The tree also has many small branches now coming from the main trunk. I haven't a clue as to how to approach this. I need some simple, easy to understand advice, if that's possible. I could find my instructions on how to post pictures and do that if it would help.

Thank you.

Ginny

Comments (20)