SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susiewantsroses

How To Win On Freecycle

susiewantsroses
15 years ago

1- I know that some areas do not have Freecycle close by YET. I wanted to get my relatives involved and the closest area was over an hour away from them. : (

2- Freecycle was/is not designed as a charity or to be used only by those in financial need. The monthly policy emails explain that they are for ANYBODY who has ANYTHING that would otherwise be sent to the landfill to try and recycle it by offering it on their site. Some people will list that they want their item to go to someone in need. Or they will say they do not want their item to go to a person who is in business to resale it. These are against policy. I got a large dining room glass table top last week. A needy person would never respond to such an offer. A resaler would not want it because it had a small yet smooth 2" crack on one side.

3- The best way to learn about Freecycling is to actually give things away on it. This is the best way to see how the entire process should work. It is a Yahoo Group. Freecycle.com. They will direct you to sign up in your area. I am in a subarea of Dallas Fort Worth Texas. I signed up under many small towns all around me as well. I signed up to have them email me every time an item is listed. I keep my computer email page on most times when I am in the house. Yes I have to erase page after page of emails often. But I win items every week and sometimes several times a week.

4. When responding to an item you want, immediately erase the subject line and put PICK ME!!!!! I'LL COME QUICKLY. Do not email them for measurements- It's gone already.

Do not ask if the item is still available- It's gone already.

Do not ask what color it is- It's gone already.

Do not ask if they will deliver it- It's FREE.

Do not call a friend to see if you can borrow a truck- It's gone already.

5. My emails always say something like this "We have a truck can be there when you say"!!! "What is your address"? Then I give them phone numbers and sign both mine and my husbands name. We work out more exact times and details when we find out that we won.

6. I have sent these emails and skipped out to the store. During my absense they emailed or called back, I didn't answer and they went on down the list of emails to someone else. If you really really want the items you may need to wait around some. At least check your email and phone messages several times a day. The person just wants to get the junk picked up. They do not care who gets it just so it is off of their porch or driveway exactly when you two agree on a time.

7. If the person says I will drag it to the curb for you to pick up, ask them to please keep it close to the house until you get there. We lost a new pond liner because a lady did that and someone else drove by and "curb shopped it" before we got there.

8. Do not go to any "cattle calls". If someone does a listing that says 3234 Elm Street, Come Get it by the back fence. Do not respond to those- It is gone before you get there unless it is just around the block from you.

9. Do not respond to a listing that says anything remotely like "Free bathing suits and make up if you are a size 4". This is a pervert. Never go alone after dark. Porch Pick ups are best. Never let the person ask you to come down into their basement even if it is High Noon. Once again porch pick up is best.

10. Always go home and write a thank you email and give them a blessing. I have had the same people call me back when they had more stuff to give away.

11. Never ever tell people what you are going to do with the stuff in your email to them, if it is creative. I once told a lady that I wanted to make a greenhouse out of her old wooden windows and she withdrew her offer so her son could make one for her.

The bottom line is that there are boxes and boxes of glass and dish items that people do not want to move. I have made many totems for the price of the glue and a few glass globs. There is a world of things that would get put out to the trash if it were not for us Junkers who revive items to live yet another life. It is a way to live larger for less and it takes advantage of no one. It helps the environment and keeps up supplied with creative materials.

If I have forgotten anything just ask and I'll keep checking back. susie

Comments (17)