SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lana_lang

my struggling vegetable garden

lana_lang
11 years ago

Hi all,

I've lived in the California central valley (surrounded by farms, no less!) for about 3 seasons now, but I just can't seem to get any of my veggies to do well. Since the soil here is clay and very poor, I have raised 4-ft. square beds, filled with composted yard trimmings. This past spring, I amended them with some composted manure, and planted chard, carrots, spinach, radishes, and lettuce. They did fairly well. Most of my lettuce didn't sprout, though (probably because the seed was too old.) And my carrots were too small for the effort.

In June I cleaned everything out and planted tomatoes, cucumbers, pumpkins, melons, some herbs, and green beans. Everything (except the tomatoes) are doing terribly. My plants all have flowers on them, and I see bees buzzing about, but absolutely no fruit. My herbs are small and slow-growing. The leaves on the beans and cucumbers are turning yellow and shriveling. And the two cucumbers that I did get were bitter tasting.

I'm not sure what the issue is. Could it be a too much/too little water issue? Too much heat? Not enough nutrients? I'd really like to avoid chemical fertilizers... is there anything besides composted manure that would work? 've added some slow-release fertilizer a couple of times, but it didn't seem to do anything.

Is there a fellow central valley gardener out there that might have some insight? Thanks!

Comments (11)