SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joe1980_gw

Putting plants outside

Joe1980
12 years ago

Now that it's getting warm finally, in fact, here in WI it went from heat 3 days ago to A/C today and this week, I am pondering my options for placing my babies outside. Mind you, I've never put them outside, so I'm new to this. The exception is succulents, which I've always put out in the sun. I am having anxiety about burning my plants. I realize you need to harden them up before allowing direct sun, but my problem is that my deck faces south-east, and there is really no place that is totally shaded all day. I do have a gazebo, with the table & chairs underneath, so there is protection from the sun, but like I said, at some point, the sun angles in at just about any spot. Staying on one said, there is exposure to eastern sun for a few hours, then shade the reast of the day. Directly in the corners, the gazebo frame breaks up the sun. I also worry about nasty weather; wind, heavy rain, and even hail.

For succulents I have jades, portulacarias, a desert rose, and a large snake plant. All but the heavy snake plant have been put out in full sun on any day that's sunny and 65 or higher, then brought in at night. Basically, they're fully acclimated already, and have been soaking up sun all spring. Now here is a list of my non-succulents that I have NEVER put outside.

Pachira

Variegated Schefflera

Lemon-lime Dracaena

Ficus Alii

2 Chinese Evergreens

Plain old Ficus, a small one

What's the best approach with these guys? I figure to keep the chinese evergreens indoors, but I hear that the rest will be happier outside. I also fear pests, especially since I noticed something was digging in my jalapenos this morning, which are in the 5-1-1 mix. All of my tropicals are in 5-1-1 mix, the succulents in gritty mix. I have also noticed that my pachira leaves get quite tender when I put it outside, and rip easily. I'd like to avoid destroying my plants in my attempt to make them happy. Thanks in advance everyone.

Joe

Comments (5)