SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luna_llena_feliz

Speaking of bears ...

luna_llena_feliz
15 years ago

I was looking at the captions for twomonth's cute bear picture and it reminded me of a ... well sorta ... funny bear story that I have.

When I was a kid ... I was probably around 5 or 6 ... we were spending some time up north at our family's cabin about 40 miles from the Upper Michigan border of Wisconsin. For the history buffs around there, it was about 50 miles north of Peshtigo where a fire that made the Chicago fire look like a tiny spark raged in 1871.

My dad and a friend went bear hunting. It was probably sometime in the fall right before the bears hibernate because my dad's friend shot one of the biggest black bears on record in Wisconsin at that time. I think it was around 550 pounds.

Of course, us kids knew my dad was hunting but we didn't know WHAT he was hunting. So one day when my parents yell for us kids to get in the car because we are going into town, we ran like the dickens for the family station wagon. I jumped in the back seat first and our big dachshund Fritzie jumped in right behind me. I jumped right back out and the dog jumped over the front seat.

The record size black bear was in the back of our wagon! It was lying on its belly like a bear rug with its mouth open and fangs agape. Its claws were about the size of my fingers and were hanging over the seat that had been lowered flat.

My parents, having a wicked sense of humor, made us ride in the back with the bear. We kept screaming that it was still alive because we could see its breath (steam coming out of its mouth) and we swore to God that it moved! My parents kept reassuring us that the bear was gutted and couldn't possibly be alive ... but us kids sure thought differently.

For some reason I just love bears as long as they aren't in the car with me! lol!

Comments (17)