SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daninthedirt

cultivation of ginger -- the plant

Six months ago I took some grocery store ginger with a bud and, on a lark, planted it in a pot. I now have a beautiful, vigorous, 3-foot high plant. I'm wondering about winter.

If I keep the plant in a pot, and bring it indoors over the winter, is it likely to last more than a few years? (I am NOT interested in harvesting the root.) That is, when the root develops, does the plant eventually die naturally? Or does it start to put out new shoots? Is it perennial? I guess I could always pull the root, chop off half of it (with half the foliage), and replant the other half.

If I keep it outside in the 8b winter, is it likely to survive? What air temperatures can it endure? I understand that it doesn't like cold, and I at least need to keep the roots from freezing. I understand that if it dies back, it may or may not come back the next year. So I'm reluctant to let it do that.

I guess I would like some cultivation guidelines for those who want it as a decorative plant, and not to harvest roots. I tried asking this on the Ginger Forum, but it's not clear anyone is at home there. Since I'm not going to use it as a vegetable, maybe this question doesn't even belong here. But I figure some folks here might grow it routinely as a vegetable.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH