SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fowlermj

Dracena Marginata root rot and propagation

fowlermj
12 years ago

I've seen several posts and answers on how to deal with root rot and how to deal with propagation of D. Marginata on this forum. I�m dealing with a combination of the two.

I have several DM that have almost total root rot (overwatered by spouse...). Two are nearly 7ft tall and share a pot, the other three are about 4ft tall and share a pot. I've owned them all for about ten years without issue.

After finding out the extent of the root rot I researched online and removed the damaged roots and cut out rot this past Saturday, which left only hard, woody roots. I performed a root hormone warm water bath and repotted in dry potting soil. I�ll be adding a bag and sphagnum moss tonight to help retain moisture.

At this point I wonder if I should cut my losses and attempt to propagate before the stalks begin to rot. I�ve experienced that once before with another dracaena, and am worried that once I realize it�s happening it will be too late to propagate successfully.

I have not had experience propagating but have read many posts on this site and others about air layering and using cut stalks of dracaena. I actually had intended to do this at some point with all 6 of these plants � they�re quite leggy � but had not worked up the courage to hack at plants I�m sentimentally attached to. However, given the dire circumstances it doesn�t seem like such a bad option.

Questions:

- Would cuttings (or attempts at air layering) from a dracaena suffering such extensive root rot (and now losing leaves from the bottom up at the rate of several per day) have enough energy to survive?

- Or does it make more sense to hold off for several days/a few weeks to see if the plant can re-root and recover in its current state?

I�d hate to wait too long hoping for a recovery only to find out I could have propagated if only I�d made the decision to cut/air layer sooner.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)