SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pitcom

The year my apple trees had no bees.

pitcom
9 years ago

It's a real disappointing start to the season for me. Over the past 3 weeks my apple trees were in full bloom. My KARMIJN DE SONNAVILLE tree is the last to have any flowers. Out of my 22 apple trees I had well over 2500+ flowers. (most trees are 5 years old). I also have a very old and extremely large crab apple tree on the property, it is about 25 feet tall by 30 feet wide. It was beautifully covered in thousands upon thousands of flowers for about 2 weeks during the same time period as the other trees. Not at any time during blossom, did i see a single mason bee, honey bee or bumble bee. Alarmed at this, i tried to self pollinate some of the apple trees with a q-tip. I was just out checking all of my fruit trees on the property. I have maybe 30 apples that actually are growing after successful fertilization.

It's the same story for my plums and apricot trees. Thousands of flowers, and minimal fruiting. It's a real wake up call to set up my own hives. I am guessing its too late to do this year.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio