SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

What has this forum done for you?

kirkus
15 years ago

I'm having one of those nights where I just can't sleep...

So, I began thinking about our chat night last night and the forum. Carol and I both appreciate all of you. Everyone is so encouraging, personable, supportive, friendly, sharing and caring... I've also noticed everyone's wit and humor coming out. :o) This is just a great place to spend time.

You have been there for us from when our son was first born... to our older son coming home from Iraq... through Carol's knee surgery...through 2 record snow storm years... to our recent woes... always encouraging...always offering kind words of support.

Your creative ideas are contagious... We have gardens filled with treasures to prove that and a garage filled with items to create more treasures! :o) Who knew that Carol and I would become so interested in cobalt blue glass? Everyone always has such kind words to say about projects we have created and projects others create.

We consider you our friends, and we thank you for sharing a part of you with us.

So, I thought I would start this post if people wanted to share what this forum has done for them.

With thanks and appreciation, Kirk Oh, I forgot to say, "Bear Hugs!" :o)

Comments (50)

• mzclassic
    15 years ago

I agree with Kirk and Carol. You people are just wonderful! Always there to lend a helping hand with lots of love and encouragement. I'm so thankful to be part of this large family and thank all of you for your talent, ideas and friendship.

Donna in Florida

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Thank you for this post Kirk. I consider it a priviledge to have spent time in the chat room last night with you beautiful people! I thoroughly enjoyed my visit! You're all so special to me too!

I haven't found any chat rooms or forums other than this one that I've really liked. So many people use them to find a boyfriend or girlfriend, and that's not what I'm looking for! I look for people who are settled and love to garden. And the search for cool garden junk is so exciting. I love how everyone shares their pictures and ideas.

Like they say, there's no place like home, this is my internet home. Hugs to all my GJ buddies! Let's chat again soon! ~tenderlee

• Related Discussions

what has happened to this forum?

Q

Comments (0)
    I couldn't understand why there weren't many recent threads on this forum. So I took the time to go back and look at previous postings, back to 08. Now I understand why. There were some good threads, great advice from herbalbetty and others, and a helpful, like-minded vibe. But there was a common theme running through them : I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. I find this to be more than just coincidence, or just the passion of two scientific, skeptical people. What I see is an attack on all things herbal. Yes, there's a place for the discussion of medicine and science in this forum, and a difference of opionions. But after reading, I find this this attack to be systematic and persistent in nature. What gives?
    ...See More

What planting has just out-done itself, for you this year?

Q

Comments (9)
    I have a wild phlox that I got during one of my visits to my uncles up in the mountains. I moved it from my fathers earlier this year and put it in a spot of only partial sun mainly because of time and space constraints. I swear that thing has been in bloom for 2 months! I have another in a sunnier place that didn't bloom for half that. I am very impressed and can't wait to see what it does next year. I also have a variagated polemonium that Curtis (M2M) sent me earlier this year that has done great. I never thought they would do well here with the heat and humidity but have been very surprised with it. Art
    ...See More

Wow, what has Yahoo done now??

Q

Comments (14)
    Or you can click on "control" and the "+" sign to make it bigger, "-" to make it smaller, don't even have to leave the page or move your cursor :) Depends on the site, but I typically have mine at 150%. I'm getting older by the second. I feel like, some day, it'll be so big that I'll have to read it one letter at a time.
    ...See More

Has everyone seen what has happened to the kitchen forum?

Q

Comments (11)
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/kitchen-discussions-dsbr0-bd~t_28581 That is for the Kitchen Forum. Now that wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that in the feed if you click on over half the threads listed, they have nothing to do with kitchens, but are threads in design dilemma, laundry, appliances, paint, cleaning tips, etc. So it means you now have to wade through threads that have NOTHING to do with the forum you're interested in. When I go to the kitchen forum, I want to only see kitchen threads. I'm hoping they don't ruin all the forums.
    ...See More
  • smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

This forum has been a Godsend for me. I found this wonderful family of friends when I was going through the hardest time of my life. I had just found out that I had cancer in both kidneys and was told that if the chemo treatment and surgery didn't work that it would be terminal within a year. I didn't feel like I could talk to most people about how bad things were looking because I am usually the strong one and I didn't want to scare my kids, mom, or anyone else. I was terrified.

Then one day while looking for directions for making cement molds I found GW. And eventually on the same day after reading what I had been doing the search for I found Garden Junk and thought it sounded like a fun site to look through. I spent hours looking at all the great stuff people had made and reading all the things that were said. I felt like I had found a safe haven. Some of the things I read made me feel safe to be me. Others made me laugh. And all of the pictures of finished projects made me smile. For a while each day, I could forget about the scarey side of life and smile.

I didn't join in until after I got through all of the chemo treatments and found out that the cancer was gone. But I really wasn't saying much to anyone through all of that. But that is just me...when I am going through tough times I tend to keep it to myself. But you all made me feel like I had friends...even before you all knew that I was here. Now you are all stuck with me...because I don't plan on going anywhere for a long time. I am still dealing with some kidney issues but the cancer is completely gone.

Thank you Kirk, for creating this thread. And thank you all for being the wonderful, accepting, loving people that you are.

~Micki~

• leveta
    15 years ago

This is my life line to the outside world. I THANK GOD for this fourm and you all...That comes from the very dept of my heart...You all are the greatest there is....

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I lurked for several years & always "left" the forum smiling & with some new ideas. When things change- my craft club once had 30 members & is down to 2 of us as folks died or moved away to live with relatives. So ideas for new things dried up. You get more ideas in 1 night from GJ forum than you do in several magazines! Also there are improvements for your yard, recycling,repainting to give garden bling & you get something that you won't find in any magazine-caring people, very funny responses & glimpse into way others do things that tells you maybe you are not so crazy for "saving" this or that!! And you get help fast if you have a problem!! It's a chat with friends without the drive or phone charges & lots of support in times of troubles! Jan

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I appreciate and love the follow-up posts... reminds me of one of my favorite Bible verses:

"Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!"

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

Isn't that a great verse? Bear Hugs! Kirk

• leveta
    15 years ago

AMEN Kirk....

• Bright199
    15 years ago

Great verse Kirk. I would have loved to participate in your chat room but 18yr dd had a bad accident Sat afternoon... so we spent time in the ER having her checked out and then I stayed close by her all night. This is my home away from home in my own living room. Some very dear wonderful people hang out here. When ever I need something prayed about this is where I come. You are all very near and dear to my heart.

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Well, I may as well add my two cents to this! I found this forum about a year ago and I have been stuck to it like glue ever since. The last few years have been a time of great change in my family's lives, so I was in desperate need of a place to find enjoyment, encouragement and a sense of belonging. This forum has become just that! I enjoy seeing what others are creating and have been so inspired to look at things in a new way. I have enjoyed getting to know all of you and hearing your stories and sharing your joys and pains. This is such a wonderful place and it feels just like home! Seems like I've known you guys and gals for a very long time. It's nice having friends again! I know that God will continue to bless every one of you!

• debby_md_z7
    15 years ago

ok kirk you asked.
    i've been lurking here for yrs.started looking for help with my pond. boy this is hard you guys and girls keep me going.as my page says i am a mother of 2 ds 32&22 they are great kids. this is hard to sayout load.to bring a long story short 2 yrs ago in november i was told i had stage 4 breast cancer that spread. ok that was hard so being home alone alot now wich is so hard for a person that is the strong one in the family.to keep a strong outlook.and few to talk to. this site keeps me laughing and crying.ok thats enough for now this gj family is the best.

kirk you hae away about you that can make the strongest to let it out. thanks

debby

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Debby, my heart sank when I read your post. I can't find the right words except to say that extra prayers and positive thoughts will be going out for you! *hugs* ~tenderlee

• nmgirl
    15 years ago

I'm sending you a big hug Debby. We're here for you.

What had this forum done for me? That's easy, helped me keep my sanity such as it is.
    I didn't want to move to VA. In NM I was finally in a house I liked, had a great part time job, some good friends to hang with, a church to call home and I was close enough to my folks to be there but we had our own space. My daughter was in a great school, had good friends and was in love with her room (it was cool!).
    Then we moved.
    It's been like solitary confinement since....that or being dropped in the middle of a foreign country. We've learned to get by but it's not home. We have no family east of the Mississippi river so holidays get lonely, we aren't beach/water oriented people yet we're pretty much on the coast, can't find a church home, have never really adjusted to Virginia style food or the weather and don't fit with East coast culture.
    Garden Junk is my lifeline and my safety net! Even though we've never met face to face, I feel like here I have friends to talk with and who understand (and encourage) my odd hobbies.
    Love you all!
    Great topic and verses Kirk! Thanks.

• desertrat1
    15 years ago

This place is such a wonderful place! The conversations side I think is the best where you really can be you! :-) I am not sure when exactly I got turned on to GJ. I had been frequenting the BHG gardening forums and met some folks there. Well, some name calling or nastiness started happening there so one that didn't want to deal with all the nitpicky stuff created another forum on the Delphi forums. About a couple dozen of us started that group a few years back. I had been there for a few years but in the last year I've been here most of my time. I check in over at the other every once in awhile. This one is just up my alley because I love using junk in my gardens--or creating new things from the old things. I think we all at different times help inspire each other. We talk more about whats happening around what encompasses our lives. Garden Junk is just our therapy. In the meantime we get to know one another and encourage each other when we are down. We smile, we cry, we LOL ( or spit coffee) when we read about some amusing event in one of our lives. Oh yeah, also, it gives me a repireve from the men folk around here...they don't get it--why I do this junk project stuff.

Thank for a wonderful thread Kirk. Now I've got to get to all my stuff out in the garage that wants me to make something out of them!

Love, Jules

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Debby~

My goodness lady, I had no idea you were dealing with so much....I hope you can feel the extra prayers and love coming your way!!

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We are praying for you... Bright...so sorry to hear about your daughter's accident. We will keep you and her in our thoughts and prayers. Micki and Debby...you are an inspiration to us all. I have had you both on my heart all day since I read your posts. I've thought a lot about you both today and said several prayers for you...thank you for sharing from your heart. We love you. Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers...you're such special ladies. Let us know how we can be there for you...

Like I said, this forum is more than a forum...it's people caring and sharing... Love and Bear Hugs! Kirk

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

H ~ O ~ W ~ D ~ Y ! ! !
    Thanks Kirk & Ms Carol for a lovely chat...
    and
    Thanks all you Garden Junkers for joining in,
    it was GRAND ~~~~~
    *** I wanted to address Ms Debby first.....
    We are pleased to know you...
    We are thrilled that you share with us and
    We are joining together PRAYING SPECIAL PRAYERS
    for God To Hold You Tight in His Loving Arms !!!
    We are here for you 24/7 !!

*** Now on to what Garden Junk Means to me ! ! !
    ~~~~ E ~ V ~ E ~ R ~ Y ~ T ~ H ~ I ~ N ~ G ! ! ! ~ ~ ~
    I believe meeting my new friends here on the Garden Junk
    Conversations Side.... has helped to SAVE MY LIFE !!!
    I have received so much H A P P I N E S S !!!!
    I have been ENCOURAGED and Lifted Up by
    Caring ~ Loving ~ Kind ~ Understanding ~ Cheerful ~
    Joyful ~ FUNNY ! ! ! ~ ~ Smart ~ ~ ~ Talented ~ ~
    E N C O U R A G I N G ! ! ! ~ ~ ~ Witty ~ ~ ~
    just " SPECIAL FOLKS ! ! !" anyway you
    L@@K at it....
    These are the Salt of the earth people !!!!
    True ~~~ Down to Earth ~~~ Hard Working !!!!
    Seeing the Talents and Ideas that come
    from so many different States... AMAZING !!!
    many of us... displaced like NM Girl , Use2B CapeCodder and Me...
    and a bunch more....** YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE !!!
    But.... even when we had to leave our Garden Junk Treasures behind... Ya'll encouraged us..
    Start again... Make new ones...
    Giving us Ideas...and Instructions !!!

\*\*\*\* Actually I am speechless ! ! !(watch it ) I know it does NOT L@@K like it... but there are just Not enough words to express ! In a Nut Shell..... I had to leave my Home in Texas... ( Warm & Sunny ) and come North to the FROZEN KLONDIC... or how ever you spell it... But. YA'LL became MY S \* U \* N \* S \* H \* I \* N \* E!!!! and I thank YOU EACH and EVERYONE !!!! Thanks for putting up with me.............. Thanks for listening to me ............... Thanks for encouraging me..................... " TOGETHER ALWAYS ! ! ! They can't take OUR SUNSHINE AWAY ! ! ! ! Thanks Kids !!! Thanks Kirk & Carol & the whole GJ GANG!!!! God Bless ! SusieSunshine Shared Stories build a relational bridge that Jesus can walk across from your heart to others. \* \* \* We are not accidents... Psalms 139 God Made the BLUEPRINT of our lives ! ! ! A W E S O M E !!!!!!!!! ~~~Thanks for being the person God created ((YOU)) to be !!!
  • susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

I have been so touched by all of the above posts!!! I so understand pain. My heart is all over this ya'll!!!

Life is full of tribulations "aint it chall"? I have had so many *unspeakable tragic times* in my life too. I just decided one day last year that I am choosing to laugh instead of allowing another of my life's crashing waves to slap me in the face. Am I insane? You bet cha'!!! But I earned it!!!!

Garden Junk Forum allows me to come to a place (discussions side) where troubles do not exist. No distructive emotions, attitudes, or problems. It's a place where creative minds come together and inspire one another. "Creativity Is A God Thang!!!!!" I am never closer to the mind of Christ than when I am taking something old, abused, used, trashed, forgotten, and make it a beloved object of ART. (That is the first sentence of the "Junkyard Gospels".) To have the forum members to brainstorm with me makes us of "one mind and one accord"! COOL!! To recieve encouragement and even praise for your accomplished projects is fulfilling to me. We are not competitive or envious because we share our ideas by posting pictures. That pic becomes a "gift of inspiration"!!! Those of us whom at times, can not do a project, are satisfied just by viewing the creations of others.

The conversations side is the place to "git jiggy" (whatever that may mean, it sounds like an all incomposing discription of what goes on there).

Kirk has a way of conveying a rare genuiness (He's just like a Golden Retriever huh Carol? LOL). He "writes tight" and warmth just pours through his posts. That is someone you really enjoy having as your "forum Guardian". "Yep, I wasn't born on the Garden Forum, but I got here as soon as I could".

XOXOXOXOXOXO

Susie

P.S. Are there misspelled words? Incorrect punctuations maybe? Poor grammer? TEXAS Drawling? "DEAL WITH IT! LIFE IS TOO SHORT AND I'VE GOT TO COOK DINNER" LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

H * O W * D * Y ~ ~ ~ ~ Me AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wanted to say....
    Hey Ms Bright.... sorry 'bout your DD Accident...
    Been there done that with my DD.... it is scary
    and it is difficult... God Will See you two through it! AND ~~ We are all praying
    for YA'LL and Keep us informed...

*** & HAY ~~~ oops I mean Hey....
    ( HAY IS FOR HORSES !) ~~~~ All You JG'ers

Thanks for sharing your IDEAS & Your Personal YOU!!!

Love & Prayers !
    God Bless!
    SusieSunshine ( ****
    & what about that...................................
    SusieRose is get'n 2 B a real TEXAN ! ! !
    ( SAVE MY PLACE DOWN THERE SUSIEROSE I'm trying 2 get back home ASAP !!!)
    & she
    sure said it right " KIRK & CAROL = Form Guardians !!"
    The Dynamic Duo !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Susie Sunshine.You said ASAP- I got the meaning of that on my email tonight. it fits here "Always Say A Prayer" It was cute!! Susie wants roses!!! a Golden Retriever????? DB has 1 comes when called & jumps all over you !!! Carol, say it isn't so!!! Rolo licks the sliding glass door until you let him in , I know he's just a pup but I think he's on steriods!!! What a laugh I got from that comparing Kirk with goldens ,they are most hyper dogs I've ever seen, this is their 3rd!!No person could be like that!!! They got kicked out of dog school!! Debby & Bright you are in my prayers too. Hope all you folks that had to move get to go "home" eventually, I longed for Ca. for yrs & was so glad to get to live here. Thanks for great post Kirk!! Jan

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, Jan...you're too funny. :o) You'll have to take the personality test to understand the reference to Golden Retrievers. I posted the link below. Bear Hugs, Kirk

Here is a link that might be useful: Personality test

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am bumping this up as I am so inspired and touched by everyone's posts here. Bear Hugs, Kirk

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Kirk, I went over to the test & their Golden Retrievers must have different DNA than ones my DB got. I know they didn't get all 3 from same place as DN ( NIECE)got the last 1 in Abilene,TX. They were all sad as other 1 had died of old age & this 1 came xmas2007.DN brought him in a box in the car!!!! He's gotten worse!!! Sure is pretty tho!! I'm half lion & half retriever crazy test!! JAN

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Where to begin? I was googling something and came upon this site. I saw Garden Junk and my immediate thought was HOME! lol! I love junk, I love gardens and I like being creative so this place just seemed to fit. I lurked for a while and noticed how kind and encouraging everyone was. You could tell there were people here from all walks of life but everyone got along beautifully. Something that is quite rare on the internet now days.

I am always amazed at the talent here! I swear most of you should have your work featured in art galleries! I have gathered together so many pictures ... well then I let Karen do all the work by creating the Inspiration Album. lol!

Besides being talented and nice, you are all incredibly kind and caring people. And funny as heck on top of it! I am severely disabled with fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and asthma. Most of the time, I'm in an awful lot of pain, tired and can't breathe. I don't get out of the house much. But I come here and you folks make me smile, laugh, cry with joy and happy to be alive. You have helped me through some tough times ... like Bob going through one surgery after another. You comforted me when I was going through my breast surgery.

I am crying right now because you are such wonderful, inspirational people! Not just inspirational artistically but also spiritually. I am so happy that I found this place. A place that is like my home and you are my much loved family. Thank you all for being you and being here.

My prayers go out to those of you going through tough times. I'm sure you find comfort here amongst these wonderful people and I know all too well that their prayers truly work. If someone can help you combat your troubles, it is this group!

God bless and big hugs,

Kathy

• cait1
    15 years ago

What an amazing thread. Thanks, Kirk, for starting it.

Debby, prayers your way from Down- Under. I am getting to really enjoy how ominous that sounds!! LOL

I had caught the Salvia bug - they are a plant indigenous to every continent EXCEPT Australia. Love Salvias. Grow them, propogate them, joined the Victoria Salvia Society and am the official photographer though I don't know why they gave me that role since I don't take pics for them that much. Anyway, had googled Salvias and saw the Salvia forum on Garden Web and joined GW for that forum. Then one day I was poking around all the other forums and Garden Junk caught my eye. I lurked here for a few days, then joined in the fun.

What has this forum done for me? It's my lifeline to America (including Canada), my home, the only country I will EVER love and ALWAYS call home. It's my connection with the greatest people in the world!! I often feel misplaced in Oz. And although I rarely see them, I have made 4 good friendships here in Oz, but they pale in comparison to the friendship I feel toward you folk. I can be involved for 6 months in my home projects (the renovations) and not write anything on this forum for that time, yet jump right back in as if no time has lapsed at all. Once a GJer, always a GJer. You are all so kind, loving, and giving. Spitefullness and sniping does not exist here. It's a family of creative people who truly care about each other. You epitomize all that I hold dear about America (Canada included LOL). Connections here are so very special. They are God-given. Finding this forum has been one of the greatest blessings of my life. You all help me to not feel so homesick since you're all a click away. Everytime I'm here, I'm home. And being Home will always be the best feeling in the world.

Okay, I'm getting misty-eyed now so I'll stop tawkin'! Thank you all for being so wonderful!
    God Bless this FORUM and those who share here!!
    Cait

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Bright, Debby, Smickers, Luna, and all the other strong women who are suffering every day ... you're all an inspiration to me! Strong women who know how to make the best of life regardless of what your health dictates! I admire you, and so many of the others in this forum. I know what it's like to live with pain every day, but I just take my meds, eat right, and by granny I'm gonna keep moving somehow! TOWANDA!!!!

Cait, your description of living in a foreign country reminds me of my hubby's letters when he was overseas in the Navy. They surely did give him a big adventure! He stopped in Melbourne and Auckland also. Wanted to spend more time there, but had to get back on the big gray ship and leave :-) I've always been curious as to what part of the US you were from originally? I bet you're having a real adventure living there, I'm somewhat envious!

I lurked here like many others for about a month before joining. I read old posts from backwards to the current, and got to know you all before I decided to join in. It was obvious that this was a place of mature (mostly LOL), settled, caring, smart and creative people! YAY I found home! I loved it that no one was interested in the usual "Age, Sex, and Location" UGH I hated that when I visited other places! I ain't lookin' for no boyfriend! LOL yes I know how to speak better English than that, it's just the trash coming out in me.

Like my little neice says "Love ya Bye" ~tenderlee :-)

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

This has been a real gift to be able to read about everyone and there daily lives, struggles and joys! I appreciate each one of you and am so thrilled to be part of the GJ family...and that is what it feels like to me...FAMILY!!

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

What a great thread! I'm not sure how I got here almost a year ago, but I did own the Garden Junk book which I bought in part to share with a very good friend who could have written that book. so somehow I got to garden web, and the name of this forum attracted me.
    What the GJ forum does for me. Tons of inspiration! Lots of company! Something to look forward to everyday. And I'm tweaked not only to be more creative by the incredible projects, but to be a better person by the goodness and kindness of my fellow junkers. I've never lasted much on any other net place. They tend to get a little strange, even some other ones on GW.
    I agreed to do the job I do a couple years ago so my dh could take advantage of a wonderful opportunity (I'm doing his old job). But i don't have any co-workers and I was Lonely! Its part time the way I do it, have to hire folks for some of the stuff that he did. I set my own hours (except emergencys) which is wonderful, and it means I can check in with you all when ever I want.
    thank you everyone!
    kathy
    ps we've got a lot of Kathy's don't we!

• toomuchglass
    15 years ago

I've been migrating from forum to forum ( mosaics and garden junk plus all the crafty forums. ) Each place I've been , I've found the most wonderful people on the planet! So many times , you guys crack me up and make my day alittle brighter ! I feel like everyone here takes one step in front of me to form a barrier when that depression demon is coming at me . You save me . I can't ask for more !

(((((( Garden Junk Friends )))))) ((( Dumpsters )))

You are both full of treasures !

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Maybe we should have a roll call of all the Kathys here! lol! I always joke when I introduce myself and my b/f Bob to someone ... I say, "Just remember we have the two most common names in the world - Kathy and Bob." Or back when we had 3 Kathys and 2 Bobs at work, I'd tell new employees, "Just call all the women Kathy and all the men Bob and you'll be right half the time." lol!

Now back to our regular programming ... I love this thread!

• debby_md_z7
    15 years ago

as been said many times.thank you
    i feel the love hugs to all
    debby

• big_deck
    15 years ago

Made me some friends AND enemies!

But, it's all good!

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

big deck,

"My experience" is that there are no need for enemies here, just common, curtious, sensibilities.

For me Garden Junk is a place to cheer one another up and encourage artistic growth. Mental creativity goes hand-in- hand with other artistic abilities. It is an escape from the uninspired harshness of the world. As long as that is the general environment and the spiritual flow, I will be here. Positive interaction among like-minded artistic people is where I choose to be inspired. Negativity or shock postings (on the discussions side) usually doesn't inspire the light hearted beauty of enhancing a garden. Remembering that a garden is a place where Fairies dance, children skip, and Angels abid. (And the occasional turtle. tee hee)

You have already shown us a very cool turtle garden. That makes me look at the one lonely little turtle I have in a different light. You have contributed!!!!! We need to see more big deck art. : )

Susie

• big_deck
    15 years ago

Susie,

Point(s) well made and well taken.

I have been under an unusual stress lately and will do a separate post about it.

Hugs,

Brian

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

Hey there Tennesseetrash..... TOWANDA ! ! ! !
    10- 4 to that ..... You just KEEP ON .............
    K E E P 'N ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Never Give Up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

********* THAT GOES FOR YOU 2
    ~~~~~~~~~~~ Big Deck ! ! !~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't
    let the turkey's get you down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Choose to SOAR WITH THE **~~~ E A G L E S~~ !!!

Like SusieRose says...YOU have Contributed !!!!
    and We appreciate ((((((( YOU )))))))))

Prayers &
    Lots of Thanks to YA'LL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless!
    SusieSunshine

********* SMILE =Make 'em wonder what you've been up to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

I am a little late in getting to this thread....and its a great idea you had to do it, Kirk. But for some reason, I had a feeling it was going to reach deep inside me and make my emotions go every which way. And it has, but that's ok.

Debby, I don't know what to say. I'm sitting here crying for all you've had to deal with. I hope all the love and prayers here give you strength and comfort.

Smick, you are a miracle! We need more of those.

I found all the posts actually shared pretty much a common emotion, that this place is "home" in so many ways. I hope Leveta doesn't mind, but I'd like to borrow her words for what this Forum has done for me. She said exactly what I feel...."This is my life-line to the outside world."

I can't even begin to tell all of you how deeply you've impacted my Life. I do know I'd be terribly lost without you tho.

love, Karen

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Towanda is right Susiesunshine! I couldn't get by without her. My son got me a TOWANDA bumper sticker, and I put it on my refrigerator, it's one of my favy things! That and the GJ forum~ hugs ~ tenderlee

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

Wow, I hate to even complain when I hear others are worse off. I'll throw away my cup and drink with my hands :D
    This forum is great therapy for me. I could finally do something with all that junk I'd been collecting for years. You should've seen the spare bedroom, you would've thought I was suffering from that "pack rat" syndrome because I couldn't even close the door or fit any more junk into it. And then there was the back yard :D I had things underneath the picnic table. But one day my daughter was looking for a site that dealt with Trash to Treasure projects, because one of my favorite shows on TV was Decorating Cents, and I'd begun making little things from a lot of the junk in that bedroom. She sat at the computer one day, and found a few sites, and when she got to this one, she got interested in the Garden Junk forum and every now and then she'd say "oh,look at this, you have one of those!" or "look what they did with that. You have one of those,too!". Finally she says "oh,Mom, you need to come sit down and check this out and put it in your favorites". Well, I must've stayed up half the night, and all the next day, and then joined and I've been here ever since. My favorites are Garden Junk, Trash to Treasure, Crafts and Decorations and Stained Glass and Mosaic.
    The Garden Junk is my favorite. Finding a good piece of junk is like finding a cold hungry baby in a basket on your doorstep. You pick it up, feed it, comfort it, watch it grow, make it healthy again and find someone to adopt it or keep it as your own :D
    ..and ....TOWANDA!
    ..my husband and I have a sort of "signal" when it's time to leave, or get away from some annoying person. It's.."the best d* BBQ I ever had"...which of course, means that that person would be better off in a pot and it's time to go!

Ya'll are all just the best!

• nonacook
    15 years ago

I have loved Garden Junk forever. And have been on this forum when it was still part of Accoutrements...Then It was 'born' separate, and nothing could stop us! LOL
    However, the conversations side of this helped 'save' me when Bill was sick. The support from all the wonderful folks here helped me keep going. I was amazed at the condolences that came in the online guest book when he died!!!! They were from all over the world! Crafters and Junkers.
    This site isn't just about junk--it's about hope, faith, consideration of others, and friendship.
    I love you all!

• daisydal
    15 years ago

yes, I know, I know, I'm a day (or more) late and a dollar short. I've been meaning to answer this one and then I get caught up in reading everyone else's posts and then something usually happens here at work to take me away. This forum and you guys became my anti-depressants last year when I joined. I lost 5 people in my family and it was a hard year. The Dr. suggested anti-depressants and I tried several brands but they made me so sick. I had lost my zest for everything, but couldn't stand the meds anymore. So, in the wee hours of the morning, when I couldn't cry any more, I surfed.. which brought me here. I feel there's always a reason why things happen, like the bigger picture, ya know, but I didn't really know what I was looking for, just knew I had always loved junk and creating, so I stumbled upon GJ. OMGOSH!! It was a junkers heaven! I couldn't get enough!! Like Cheri said, I stayed up for hours and hours going thru all the pages and reading the precious posts from friends to friends. It was like you all knew each other personally. I couldn't wait to jump in and be a part of this family that I needed so bad. So I guess you could say this forum has been an angel in disguise for me. And the icing on the cake is all of the special wonderful friends it has brought me.
    Thank you all for being here, I treasure each of you!
    blessings-sherri

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

This place has been a lifesaver for a lot of us...

• debby_md_z7
    15 years ago

amem micke

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Debby I have some close people who have dealt with cancer. I have learned that your outlook on life will affect you more than anything. Stay positive, and give your health to the Lord.

Kirk this forum has taught me so much. The wealth of talent here has given me a whole dictionary of projects that I want to try or do. The people are caring,talented and so willing to share. Family is the word

• wants-a-green-thumb
    14 years ago

Came across this post while doing a search. I've been a lurker for about a year. Like so many others it's been a life line for me. Due to family issues I don't sleep much and think way to much!, but I can look around on this site and soon my troubles are in the back of my mind and I'm giggling to myself over a post or my minds reeling on how someone came up with the idea to make something so neat out of "junk". I have no talent and very little imagination most of the time... but I'll see someone else's post/pictures and think~ WOW, how cool is that, and it's something I could easily do! Thanks to all of you, that didn't know I was here, but made me feel welcomed just the same!

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

Heya Wants-a-green-thumb, and welcome! Glad you came out of lurkdom and joined in!

I love MI, and have relatives all over the state. Visited many times when I was a kid (that was a very long time ago lol)

Don't be shy now, just hop on in :-)

~tenderlee

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Welcome out of Lurkdom, Wants-a-green-thumb. Lack of sleep and too much thinking is a terrible waste of time and energy, how well I know that! But it got some of us HERE, and was a blessing in disguise I guess.
    Now you know, of course, you're not allowed back in Lurkdom, LOL.
    So jump in and let us hear more from you.

hugs, Karen

• leveta
    14 years ago

I'm not a lurker, but in the past yr I have learned alot about making treasures. And how wonderful the people are here...Everyone is such a blessing...

• chelcass
    14 years ago

I have been around Garden Web for many, many years but only off and on. Reason being I never felt comfortable with any of the groups. That is until I found this group last december. I saw you were doing a christmas swap and i asked if I could join and Kirk being the generous gentlemen he is said of course I could join in the fun.

Well it has been uphill every since. I check in here daily and sometime i post and sometimes I don't. I do however smile alot. I love that I have found a *true* group of junk lovers. I dumpster dived and trash picked long before it was the thing to do so I am a recycler from way back plus I belong to several freecycle groups.

I was always taught *waste not...want not!.

This group has even helped convert my dh into a junker. Instead of saying why did you............he now says.........hmmmmmmmmmm I think I can use that in a project. :)

I used to go to auctions every weekend and I have accumlated a lot of *junk*. I have tons of dishes, glasses, vases, and a lot of odd ball stuff i don't know what I am going to do with it but............

I am also a crafter, doing stained glass, jewerly, mosaics, gardening and woodburning. From these crafts I always have leftovers. If anybody needs some left over stained glass or beads or patterns please let me know i am more then happy to share.

I do have one item I have tons of and hope someone can use some..............Rx bottles. They make great storage for seeds, beads, etc.but I have a ton so if anybody would like some pllllllllllllease let me know.

My thoughts and prayers goes out to our members who are having trouble, whether it's medicals, emotional or just need a shoulder to lean on. We all need a shoulder once in awhile.

I love this group,

Thanks Kirk, Carol and all the members.

Hugs, Chelcass

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Besides everything I said in my first post, on a different note... When I painted my kitchen recently I also pulled out the old dirty disgusting holey caulk at the edge of the melamine counter back splash AND I REDID IT beautifully with GE silicone II white paintable in a caulking gun! I learned how to use silicone and a caulking gun making PLATE Flowers! I would not have dared to try before! Junking = practical skills! Also now when I rearrange my shelves in the kitchen or my glass door cabinet in the living room, I pile things up totem style (only smaller). The shelves are so much more beautiful and interesting than they used to be.
    kathy

• elliemae33
    14 years ago

I can't even remember how I found this site and have only been here for about a month. I have been on the internet for quite a few years and I can honestly say that I have never enjoyed a forum or site more than I enjoy garden junk forum. You are all so very friendly and helpful. I have no doubt that anytime I ask a question here someone will answer or atleast try to. I have told everyone I see about this forum and how much I have enjoyed! Keep up the good work all of you and thank you so much for all that you do and for making me feel so welcome. ~Ellie~

• akup_a
    14 years ago

My DH got so overwhelmed with my "to do list" that he begged me to "stop being creative"! To stop creating is to die inside.
    I had to "tone down" the creativity, 'cause I love dat man, but couldn't stop it. So, I come here to fill my cup. Ya'll saved my marriage!
    Vickie

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz