SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessicabauer84

Moving On - How to Destroy a Squash Bug Habitat??

jessicabauer84
13 years ago

So yesterday I gave in and waved the white flag in my fight against squash bugs. They had overtaken my only zucchini plant and I knew I was just not going to get any more production from it. I pulled it up and stuffed it directly into a garbage bag, along with the majority of the bugs. However, some fell off and scattered about in my bed. The zucchini was the only thing in the 8x4 ft raised bed, so now it's empty... other than several dozen families of squash bugs.

I want to plant something in it soon to get a fall garden going, but what in the world can I do to get rid of the bugs that are living in and around the soil?? I've heard they don't take kindly to diatomaceous earth. Would working a few bags of that in before planting help? Anything else I should work in to combat against them. Fertilizer? Compost? I just want them gone and I'd like to see a healthy fall garden in that bed. :)

In the same note, what in the world should I plant there? I live in southern Arkansas and it's been hovering at the 105 point for weeks. Any tips on what would survive the heat as seed and live into the fall? Our frost won't be until November.

Thank you all in advance for your help!! :)

Comments (4)