SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myk1_gw

Thinning before June drop recommended?

myk1
14 years ago

If I thin apples now will I get the ones I want to stick around or will the tree come along in June and throw off ones it has already determined won't be staying?

I'm not a big fan of thinning so I don't have much experience. The only problem I've had not thinning has been when 2 short stemmed apples stay on the same cluster, if codling moth doesn't lay for both fruits and a larve doesn't travel between fruits something like earwig will move into the cavity between stems and feast.

I'm not even sure if what I think is June drop is June drop and I'm not blaming curculio drops on June drop. Most of my "June drop" has been curculio bitten in the past before I started spraying but a lot of the ones that didn't drop have been bitten.

It looks like Once and Done is doing a good job against the curculio so they shouldn't be doing the thinning for me this year.

Assuming what I'm calling June drop is June drop the tree hasn't been too good at selecting. It leaves a lot of multiple apples per cluster some places and empties clusters other places.

I want to leave the tree I'm asking about heavy with fruit but one fruit per cluster.

Right now the tree is dropping what I assume are unpollinated fruits. The ones that are setting are gaining size quickly (about the size of a lima bean if lima beans were round).

Comments (4)