SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottfsmith

Fireblight magnet antique apple varieties

12 years ago

A few years ago I had a major problem with fireblight on my apples and noticed my quinces were the main source infecting them. So, I took them out and was doing relatively well for a few years, but I just had some FB activity last week - blossom strikes on several dozen varieties and a few trees getting nailed. I have noticed that there are some apple varieties that are much more prone to FB, so now that my quinces are gone I want to clear out all the highly prone apples as well. I believe it is important to clear these guys out because their presence helps keep the level of bacteria high enough for future infections - the quince removal showed that the logic seems to work in practice. Even this recent bad strike was nothing compared to stuff I have seen in the past, this was blossoms only, no shoots.

Here is a list of varieties that have been very prone (I am leaving out obscure cider varieties, many of those are very bad but I doubt enough people here are growing them):

Canada Reinette (and Reinette Gris du Canada) - horrible

Orleans Reinette - pretty horrible

Esopus Spitzenberg - somewhat bad

Myers Royal Limbertwig - somewhat bad

(probably others as well, my memory and logs are not as good as they should be)

There are various lists I have found on-line, but I find that what they call "very susceptible" is still relatively resistant in my orchard so I think these particular heirlooms are in a league beyond the normal bad. Examples of baddies on various web lists which have not been big problems for me include Fuji, Gala, Braeburn, and Jonagold. None of those guys have been magnets in my orchard. These heirlooms on the other hand have been repeat offenders: they get it when no other trees nearby do, and they always get it worse. I have decided the two horrible guys above are goners; good thing I still have some apple scions left in the fridge to top work them over with :-) I am curious if others have noticed such repeat offenders in their orchards.

Scott

Comments (24)