SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buddyfly

Mushroom Birdfeeder

Buddyfly
17 years ago

Hi there folks! Been a looooonnnnnnnnnggggggggg while since I posted anything in this forum. I've been on a bit of a creative streak and wanted to share this one and others later with you.

I wanted to make a covered birdfeeder that would keep all the birdseed dry during all these torrential downpours lately. All the wild bird seed was continually turning into cold breakfast gruel! Blech! I already had this 'birdbath' that I used for the mushroom cap. It was cast with white mortar mix and I wrecked the edges by moving it too soon after casting. It is 16" across. So I thought it would make a great cover for the birdfeeder. I made the 'stem' from tufa 1p 1s 2pm. I carved four entrance holes and let it harden. I used an epoxy/resin coating for the mushroom cap to make it look wet. I had used a pigment for the colouring of the cap... just smeared it over a wet cap and then 'tapped' my fingers all over it to cause the pooling/speckled look. Then I let it dry and applied the resin. The original birdbath was in the shape of a sunflower so when I turned it over the petals formed the perfect underside of a mushroom cap! ;)

It is outside now and it is so cute to watch the birds 'hop in' for a feed!

Hope you like!

Marly

{{gwi:74177}}

Click the small pics to view larger pic...

{{gwi:74175}}

{{gwi:74177}}

{{gwi:74179}}

{{gwi:74181}}

Comments (8)