SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wichitarick

a few mold ideas and ideas from a rookie

wichitarick
18 years ago

hi,

although I don,t post here and have kinda been on hold in the garden junk area for a while (life) I always have new or crazy ideas . i,m not a total rookie ive made some nice stepping stones, and probably used a 100 bags of pre mix for a lot of stuff and stained and painted concrete porches and side walks . had intended on going crazy with concrete this summer but did not.

I read a lot of this forum to day and used to read it all the time.

I actually mixed 4 bags of redi mix this week and made various stuff ,

I use hard hats for molds .. they are free or cheap and very durable the first ones last yr. I stuck 4 railroad spikes in for legs , I also used gav. bolts for legs.

these come out as a lady bug, a turtle , a hat, I wanted to cast using a wig head and make a head and hat.

maybe the right shaped one would make the sphere everyone looks for? I put a few marbles in one. but it was weak . I really wanted to cover the inside with marbles and cast for a bug. I glued eyes and a mouth on

I made 3 today and died them terra cotta and put a pc of metal banding in one for a curled tongue , like a butterfly has.

also one I have not seen is to use a jar , actually a lot of jars, I filled jars with 2 bags of pre mix not sure how many , a lot. some I put broken glass in the jar some marbles , some rock, gravel . after reading here some foil.

broke mirror broken terra cotta, a lot of these have a bolt or pc of rebar poking out. after curing i,m thinking of just poring some crete stain right in the jar.???

this started because last I used those plastic cups from a convenience store for molds and put a bolt in the end , the idea was to use then a s border all in a row . once turned over you recognize the shape but don,t know???

for a ring mold I made a mold last yr. with a tire cut in 1/2 , I only made one , the mold was great just stupid mixture to much water it broke, but a great idea, I cut the tire with a jig saw,.

I know everone uses pans but one I always see everyone asking about is brick and edging , just use loaf pans, they are the perfect size and I made three and they look great , wished I had 50 .

just love everyones work and wished I was doing more but had to get a few ideas out of my head . thanks Rick in wichita

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living