SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottfsmith

Surround experiences 2010 thread

Scott F Smith
13 years ago

I thought it would be good to have a thread for trading Surround experiences for those trying it, plus any other additional low-impact method used along with for bug control. This year I am using Surround for PC, OFM, and CM primarily, on peach, plum, apricot, apple, and quince. I am also supplementing with mating disruption for OFM and CM, and also using spinosad and/or virosoft aka CM granulosis, both of which are viruses that get the moths sick.

The PC season is pretty much over and I did well on them. The major problem in fact was I was confusing early CM with PC. I now know that CM is easy to spot with Surround because the white apple fruitlets get streaked with brown color from the frass coming out the opening; PC apparently doesn't put frass out. I had some trees with a fair amount of PC damage but I could easily thin away the damaged fruitlets. So, overall it was a strong success on the PC. I needed three Surround sprays to maintain coverage through PC season (and, I have done one since then primarily for moths).

For both the CM and OFM, I made a mistake of not getting my traps and mating disruption out soon enough. If you are not bagging or using a powerful bug killer on these guys, I feel you need to have monitoring traps for both CM and OFM, to know when the flights are happening and thus when the eggs will be hatching and thus when to spray like all get-out. On the mating disruption lures I wanted to get them out later so they would last longer .. big mistake! The day I put out my OFM trap I had a half dozen moths in it so I was already at peak flight and should have had the disruption out 1-2 weeks earlier. The season was much earlier than last year and that caught me off-guard.

So, I started off without getting as big a ding out of the OFM/CM population as I should have gotten. Fortunately I did make some ding there with the late arrival disruption plus the Surround that was still down for PC treatment, and also the egg hatch is later and I got some of them with my virosoft and spinosad (however, for that I think I was also a bit too late).

Now that we are into moth season I have been keeping the Surround coverage up, that takes every other week sprays or so, and I throw in spinosad or virosoft into each one. One other thing I am doing is working on the peach tips, both pruning off any damaged tips and trying to get them with the Surround/spinosad sprays. Also any infected fruitlets get pulled. Its easiest to spot the infected fruitlets after rains because they ooze goo then even when the worm is teeny (well, this is for peaches/plums; for apples the chaff browns the Surround and you can see them from a mile away after a rain). I thinned down to about double the fruits I want in the end and am slowly thinning more by pulling off infected or otherwise damaged or small fruits. Pulling off damaged (peach) tips and bitten fruits puts a big dent in the later generations. So far I am doing a bit better than last year on moths, in spite of starting later.

Overall, my approach is a many-pronged one. With synthetics you are basically laying out a nuke and boom its over. With low-impact methods you are in trench warfare, more drawn-out and more casualties but victory is achievable.

Scott

Comments (7)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES