SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara101101

Update of a sick peach tree a year later

Sara_in_philly
12 years ago

I had asked for help about a peach tree oozing gunk in the spring of last year and got a lot of help from the experts in this forum. It turn out to be borers and the severity of the borer damage lead to a lively discussion about whether that tree was still salvageable.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg0312114813142.html

It has been more than a year, I am here to give an update about the tree.

Last spring,following the advices given here, I had cleaned up the gunk, impaled the larva, painted the trunk with white latex paint and put mothballs around the tree. I couldn't find the chemical, so no spraying of anything. For a few months after that, there were still more oozing, and I had found more larva under the tree bark. So, I kept cleaning the oozing, impaled the larva, touched up latex paint and added more mothball. I harvested ONE peach last year!

This is what the tree looked like on May 10 this year.

{{gwi:97457}}

{{gwi:97459}}

This year, there is no oozing at all. I have painted the trunk with latex paint and put mothball around the tree again.

Now, the tree is full of little peaches (much bigger than the ones shown in the picture above). I have been thinning them out from time to time. There is a mild case of leave curl. I have to pick out a diseased leaf or two every few days. Other than that, the tree looks ok to my untrained eye.

Do you think this tree is out of woods?

I will post more updated pictures of the tree once I replace my broken camera. And once again, thank you all for your help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Peach tree problem

Comments (5)