SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
instar8

Temperate artichoke growers, whaddya think?

13 years ago

I'm up here next to the MI border,not exactly the Mediterranean. I'm close enough to Lake Michigan to get the odd lake-effect snow dump, and the famous Great Lakes permacloud way too much of the time, but none of the temp-stabilizing effects.

Anywho, like any true gardener, i'm always determined to grow something out of my zone, and have tried several times for artichokes, with nothing to brag about. My property grows humongous mutant thistles, hence the affectionate name "Thistledew", so i thought artichokes would like it here. I've tried all the so-called 'annual' types, tried the vernalizing trick a few times, not much luck.

What i do have is an underground garage, part oof my basement...instead of a walk-out, i have a drive-in. It stays in the forties all winter, unless somebody doesn't latch the damn door...grr..but i overwinter fuschias in there, and use it as a root cellar for potatoes,onions, etc. It might get to freezing briefly if the afore-mentioned door gets left open (not by me!!!).

I was thinking of starting some real artichokes in pots right now, 6 or 10, leaving them out til the last minute, then keeping them in the garage over the winter. There's a fair amount of light, and if it does freeze, it's just that, maybe 32 degrees. In the early spring i'd ease them out into a raised bed that i can cover with Reemay or even plastic if need be, for any late frosts.

How much cold can artichokes take? What's your experience?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor