SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosieo_gw

Favorite grapes & others from Edible Landscaping?

rosieo
11 years ago

I'm going to Edible Landscaping today to pick up some fruit. I need help choosing grapes. I'd like to get a couple seedless for snacking and maybe 2 or 3 seeded grapes for making juice and jelly.

My main criteria is no/low spray. My neighbor has wonderful grapes and he doesn't do anything. It must be a pretty decent area for grapes. (I'm about 15 miles down the mountain from Boone, NC. It's zone 7 but the nights are cool, winters are long, and occasional late frosts.)

Also, how many grapevines would be sufficient for a family of 4? I do a lot of canning, making juice and jelly, etc. Is Concord really good or has it been eclipsed by newer and better improvements?

Here is what I'm planning to get from Edible Landscaping today. Any input would be greatly appreciated since I am brand new to growing fruit. Anything on my list that jumps out as hard to grow or fussy or just won't do well here?

Cherry: Black Gold
Mulberry: Illinois Everbearing
Fig: Violet de Bordeaux and Strawberry Verte
Blueberries: Reka, Legacy, and Pink Lemonade (going to plant that one in the kid's playground.)
Gooseberry: Black Velvet
Currants: Cherry Red and Crandall Clove
Persimmon: Yates
Grapes: I was looking at Sugargate Muscadine, Roucaneuf, and Mars Seedless. But that's just guessing, really. I have no idea which grapes would do well here, are easy care, and taste great.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Edible Landscaping

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting