SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maidinmontana

spider plant babies. . . yipee

maidinmontana
14 years ago

I know some of you may be thinking "big deal" but let me tell you, this is quite an accomplishment for me. I grow all kinds of house plants, I don't seem to have a problem with any of them. But for some reason I have never been able to grow a simple spider plant.

I had a full sized plant and gave it to my sis cuz it was starting to decline. Well being the determined person I am, I took a bunch of babies off of it when it got healthy again. Most of them died, but one did manage to survive. I also noticed a small shoot of a solid green one coming up next to this one, which is wierd, as this one is vereigated.

Anyway, while watering this morning, I noticed I have a flower (baby) coming on my plant. I'm so excited. Go figure, I can't grow a full size spider plant, but I can grow one from a cutting.

Anyways just thought I'd share my excitement. . .

Maid~

Comments (28)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Good job!
    My Spider Plant has two flower-stalks right now....
    Must be the season!

Josh

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

Congratulations Maid! It took me 2 years to get my Spider Plant to finally start putting out some babies and I remember how excited I was. However now it just won't stop.
    And I don't really think it matters how 'easy' a plant is considered to be, an accomplishment a person is proud of is worth sharing!

Are you gonna propagate from your babies or are you going to leave them on? I've left all mine on (except one I'm starting for my mother 'cause she killed hers) 'cause it creates this wonderful lush, full cascading look.

• Related Discussions

Chlorophytum comosum (Spider Plant) Babies & Flowers

Q

Comments (10)
    Purple, I get a ton of seeds every winter when I bring my green and white spiders inside to protect them from the harsh Ohio winter. I usually don't notice that the seed pods have opened until I get ready to vacuum and notice the seeds in the carpet. Then the following Spring when I take the spiders and other plants back outside to bask in the warmth of the sunshine, many pots have new totally green baby spider plants sprouting in them. I am told that seeds produce totally green plants even if the parent plant was green and white.
    ...See More

Help save a baby spider plant if salvageable

Q

Comments (6)
    That's too bad =( Was it the true perennial geranium or the annual that is commonly known as geranium? And yeah, it was cool in the way of "Wow, these babies can grow anywhere" but not so much when it came time to try to pull the roots out of the carpet without hurting them ....... I had a bunch of hanging baskets, but only one spot where I could rig up a hook, so most of them where sitting on the carpet ...... ALL of my trailing plants rooted themselves into the carpet -- My two Wandering Jews, Bolivian Jew, Philodendron 'Brazil', Marble Queen Pothos, Purple Variegated Sweet Potato Vine, and Vinca Vine ...... That was A LOT of tedious work to get them all detached, and there was some damage =( Next year if we're still in this apartment, I'm taking someone's suggestion and getting a portable clothes rack to hang them on!!
    ...See More

WANTED: Spider plants (adult or babies) for postage

Q

Comments (7)
    Are you still looking for spider plants? I have tons of "Original Green" babies - the leaves are not variegated and it is suspected to be the original spider plant that other varieties spread from. Oddly, it is also the hardest to find. I'd be willing to send you babies for shipping. Please e-mail if you're interested - digitalcrispies@gmail.com
    ...See More

Good or Bad Idea To Root Spider Plant Babies In Same Container?

Q

Comments (4)
    Spider plants are one of the most forgiving plants when it comes to playing in their soil. They have huge roots that grow forever and continue to grow when disturbed. It's all your preference whether or not you want to pot them up separately or with the mother plant. If there is room in the pot, there is no reason not to unless the mother plant is diseased or suffering from root problems or you want to give one to everybody in your neighborhood. If you don't, you'll end up with hundreds of plants. You can also root them in a separate pot and when it's time to pot up the mother plant add the babies back in with it.
    ...See More
  • maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bunnygurl,

I haven't decided yet what I'm gonna do with the babies. I don't really have room for hanging plants, so if I do decied to leave them on I will probably put it on a pedestal like the asparagus fern I posted a few threads up. I've seen that done before and it looks pretty cool.

Thanks,

Maid~

• drvongirl
    14 years ago

Congradulations on your spider baby!! I think that is a great ideal to put it on a pedestal. Here is a pic of mine on the edge of the breakfast bar with all the babies. I have rooted three, given two away and kept the other one which is really growing now. I think I need to transplant this but I think I need two more hands to do it!!! What do you think? Ellen
    {{gwi:82280}}

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Drvongirl, that is a beauty. . . ! Does it sit there all the time? Mine is so puney compared to yours, hopefully someday it will grow up big like yours. . . :)

Thanks for the kind words and sharin your plant. . .

Maid~

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

Ellen, I definitely needed two more hands when I potted up mine, which is now in a 10in pot and badly needs to move up to a 12in. And man is it getting heavy! I have mine sitting on top of a pedestal style corner shelf thing. It's a little frustrating though 'cause my cat keeps attacking the babies. Luckily though, there's so many I can't tell when she has unless I catch her in the act.

Maid, I was going to suggest a pedestal earlier as I've seen the pic of your fern and I think it looks just stunning. I don't really like hanging plants - pain in the butt to water in my opinion - so a pedestal is top notch.

• magicsgarden
    14 years ago

Spider plants are so common and it took me a lot of years to get obsessed with them :) Congratulations on your babies!
    Drvongirl, your plant is so beautiful!

• drvongirl
    14 years ago

Maid, yes the plant sits there all the time, that's the only place I can put it so the babies hang down unless I want to hang it and it would be to hard to water. There is a sky light above but it doesn't sit directly under it. It has grown so much since I put it there. I've always heard that once your plant has a place it likes where it grows and does well, leave it there!

Bunnygurl, I bet that was a major undertaking when you transplanted. Did you loose any babies while doing it? Did you break any of the leaves? I'm fairly sure my spider is mostly roots and does need a pot up, I just keep imagining all these little babies laying on the floor crying because they've been ripped from their mommy once I do it! I guess I'll just have to root them so they can do their mommy proud!!!

Magicgarden, thank for the compliment! I've always loved spider plants.

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Drvongirl,
    I'd leave it there too, if it's doing that well for you. . . I thought it looked like there was a skylight in the room. I have one in my kitchen too, my low light plants love it.

I was going to suggest taking it to a nursery to have it re-potted. I do that with my huge Peace lily, I can't manage it myself. They have all the right tools and such to do it with ease. Just a thought. . . I just love your plant. I keep looking at the pic over and over. . . lol.

Bunnygurl. . . a 20" pot OMG. . . ! No wonder you don't move it around. . . sounds like you should be charging it rent. . . lol Please share a pic with us. . .

Thanks all, Maid~

• luvofroses
    14 years ago

Congratulations on your new babies. I have 2 spiders and just love them. I potted up some varigated babies Friday and I have one solid green one that I asked for from a local resturant. They really are an encouragement as to your growing skills( I know they are very common but I do know some people that can't grow them) when you can be rewarded with little ones. I do plan on showing mine the wonderful picture that drvongirl shared and let them know about bunnygirl's pot size but maynot encourage them that much where would I put a 20" pot? Very small house. Some of you would have to come to the desert and help me rearrange.
    Ann

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

20inch? I never said 20in....I said it's in a 10 and needs a 12. o_O If it was in a 20in it'd need it's own room so it'd better darn well be paying rent by that point.

drvongirl - surprisingly enough, I didn't loose anything. A couple leaves got a bit bent perhaps, but if you're careful and your help holds it properly (upwards and bunched together like you were making a ponytail with someones hair) then you should be alright. The leaves got a little dirty from the repot though but that's minor. Just rinse it off.

Maid - I'd love to show you a pic and I'll do it as soon as a)the hubby stops screwing around with the camera and b)it's our anniversary today so we're heading out for lunch right now, but I'll do it when I get back. ^_^ It's one of my prides.

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

oops. sorry I should have checked the post ahout the size of the pot before I replied. . . sorry. . .

Happy Anniversary. . . . looking forward to pics. . .

Maid~

• drvongirl
    14 years ago

Maid, that is a great idea about taking it to the nursey, I never thought of that. In fact I am going there this morning. I think I will ask them about it, thanks

Ann, I would love to see a picture of your spider!

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

It's not the best pic, but there's nowhere else I can put it to get a better pic, but you get the general idea. I think it might be thirsty too as it seems a little flat...

{{gwi:82281}}

Btw, anyone want a baby? There's a whole schwackload on the other side of the plant as well.

• luvofroses
    14 years ago

Sorry bunnygirl read Maid's post and didn't go back to yours. Glad to know that it is not human size yet. Yes and happy anniversary hope lunch was really good. I am working on learning how to post pictures this week so maybe I can practice by sharing here.
    Ann

• green_thumb_grower
    14 years ago

bunnygurl
    You do have a very nice looking plant there. I have not seen them so full and with that many babys on them at one time. My grandma use to have them but they always looked bad. They did not have a full look to them at all. I have a spider plant that is still young got it from lowes last year but its leaves curl. If you would like to give some of your babys away I can see about getting you some babys from mine that the leaves curl. I have to repot mine I was waiting for spring and a a bit afraid cause it curls around the pot dont want to break its leaves.

• brodyjames_gw
    14 years ago

Just wanted to say how awesome both pictures are! If you didn't know before how this plant got it's name....wow! They really do look like little spiders leaving momma! Just spectacular! I can't wait for mine to get like either of these!

Nancy! ;)

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

Ann - No, not quite human size, but it's well on it's way considering I got it as a baby plantlet I rooted off my mother's plant and it's only 3 yrs old.

Green thumb grower - Oooh. I like the Spider Plants where the leaves curl. I believe those are the 'Bonnie' variety...? I definitely wouldn't mind a trade, but I've never traded before so I don't know the first thing about doing it. And I always root my plantlets while still attached to the mother plant. I'd be worried if I cut a few off for you that they wouldn't make it over or root. I'd feel so bad (not that I could always just send more).

Nancy - Thanks! Good luck with yours. Mine was in a North window (East now that I moved) and I fed it weekly with a half strength regular fertilizer and it just went BOOM!

• drvongirl
    14 years ago

bunnygurl,
    Wow, I have never seen babies that big on a spider or that many! I like the way the babies leaves curl, gorgeous! ellen

• angeleyedcat
    14 years ago

Spider plants, if you can find a spot it loves it is amazing. A local friend gave me her small dying plant probably 15 years ago. She just couldn't convince it to live. Turned out it loved my house in the big east windows. The plants are shaded by direct sun by 3 foot x 2 foot sheets of plexiglass painted to look like stained glass (the sheets go up against the glass to help protect all the plants up on the upper window shelves during the winter from the cold drafts. They stay there all year. The windows go up 2 full stories - I can't get any plastic that high). I've tried other places in my house but they aren't happy anywhere else. Period. In this spot they are amazing.

I have 3 plants now each in 12 inch plastic pots, have had up to 6 at any given time all from the same original plant. The routine has been: Each mid May they go out onto the east deck with morning sun. When it's time to bring them in late September they get so pot bound in the 12 inch pot that I have to hack them in half with a shovel. I keep 1/2 of each plant, repot with Miracle Grow Moisture, put them back in the 12 inch pot and up on the shelf in the east window with the painted plexiglass. They are watered every 7-10 days at best because I have to climb up 12 feet on a ladder to get to them, they are not babied at all, never any fertilizer other than whats in the soil. They more than double in size, get loaded with babies and get pot bound again each winter. If I don't hack them in half in the spring and repot at that time by the end of summer they will have broken their 12 inch pots. I got tired of replacing broken large plastic pots which is why I'm down to 3. After repotting in spring they go outside on the east deck with morning sun in mid May. At the end of summer I hack them in half with a shovel again...it's become routine. I've grown these about 10 of the years with generally 50-60 percent humidity year round. I grew them for 5 years within 15 feet of a hot woodstove and low humidity, it made no difference in this east window.

Bottom line? I'd just keep trying different places in the house until you find a spot where it really responds. Respond it will! Sometimes it's not a spot that you'd prefer it to be, I'd really rather not have to deal with the ladder and water, but, that's where they thrive. Good luck!

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wowsers Bunntgurl. . . that's a monster. I'd sure like to take you up on your offer to get some babies from you,but. . . I have so many plants right now (over 40 hoyas alone) and I must practice restraint. . .

Thanks for posting the picture. . . it gives me hope.

I guess I'll show off mine too, the silly *little* thing. . . don't laugh. . .

{{gwi:82282}}

Maid~

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Angel, that's a fascinating routine. Whacking with a shovel. . . really.

I agree totaly with finding a place where they are happy and leave them be.

I'm thinking that's why I am finally having success with this one. In the past I'd buy an established plant and I was never able to find the *perfect* spot for it, so it would slowly die.

I'm a very picky plant person, I want prestine looking plants, not sickly looking. Spider plants in my care had a tendency to get brown tips and bent leaves, which I don't like.

I have had this one in an east facing window it's whole short life, and it seems to be happy. It sets on a shelf surrounded by small hoyas so it never gets direct sun on it, just dappled, filtered light. I think I'm going to have to find a different spot for it tho, it's starting to take up too much space on the already crowded shelf. I'm just afraid it won't be as happy anywhere else.

Thanks to all of you for your input. . .

maid~

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

Maid - I really like how yours looks. It definitely has a mountain of potential. It looks WAY better than mine did when it was that small. It was actually quite gangly...

I don't know if I could ever hack mine apart with a shovel. Feels a little mutilation-ish...I like to let my plants just be...which could be why I'm running out of space so fact even though I haven't really bought very many new plants at all...

• wrynsmom
    14 years ago

Maid, that's a cute plant. :) I just bought one, earlier today, for my son's school project. I needed something to take cuttings from, but the nursery was out of anything I could have don't that with, but they had a hanging basket for $6.98 with a variegated spider plant. It has over 30 babies hanging around! I thought that would be GREAT for the kids in the class to plant for Mother's Day. :) Should be fun!

Ann, if you need a baby, let me know. We should have extras. :)

Carolyn

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Carolyn, that's a great idea. My favorite gifts from my kids when they were young was the plants/seedlings they made in school. And, if the moms are better at growing them than I am, they will have it for a long time. . .

Bunnygurl, thanks, it didn't used to look like that tho. I had about 5 babies in a pot to root and they all died but this one, and it was the smallest of all of them. It was maybe the size of a Q-tip cut in 1/2. So, I figure if it has survived this long and made it thru the transition w/out mamma, it's a true survivor.

Maid~

• ulster61
    14 years ago

Hello, I have a beautiful Spider Plant it's big, full and loaded with babies. I would post a picture but I can't figure out how to. I would send babies to anyone who might need one. If anyone can tell me how to post a pic please let me know.

• blondetazz0924
    14 years ago

I would love some babies of the green with white on the edges type of spider plant. I have the normal variety of these, the kind you see everywhere...lol. And a small bonnie normal variety kind. Been searching everywhere for the spider plant with the green in the middle and white on the edges. No luck anywhere finding it in my area at all. Spiders are awesome and soooo pretty!

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

blondetazz - I'd love to send you a few babies (I have the green centre with white edges one), but I have no idea about shipping plants and border laws as well.

You can e-mail me at retardedcheesetard@hotmail.com and we can go from there.