SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olympia_gardener

Thinning, a tough problem to have

olympia_gardener
11 years ago

My Asian pears survived the later frost under my protected teepee and has baby pears in size of small marbles. Some branch have too many pears, too close together, some twins too. I have been thinking for over couple of weeks try to decide whether to thin it or not. I know it needs to be thinned otherwise all the pears in the branch will not grow to good size; but it is very hard to pick it off, especial it is the first year it bloomed. I picked few smaller one off couple of daya ago, not sure to test my courage or to test the reaction of the tree , my heart was aching; I went back yesterday and pick few more off, my heart was aching again. Right now most baby pears are about 3 inches apart, but some are closer. I don't have heart to thin these closer together baby pears because they are big than the rest. Can I leave they on the tree as is or I have to thinning them? How late I can thining baby pears without affect their growth? Can I just add more fertilizer in the soil so the tree can support more pears to grow into good size??

Comments (21)