SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bekind_gw

Planting Blueberries in Container and Ground Qs

bekind
12 years ago

Planting a Northcountry in a whiskey half barrel, it grows in a mound 18" to 24". Got the barrel last year cheap b/c the garden center used it to place potted plants in it and at the bottom is an alternating stack of nailed 2x4s to add height. I left the wood in there as filler, put rocks too, then filled it with potting soil and sphagnum peat. I did put three small drainage holes.

A garden center owner on YouTube re: blueberry plants in barrels said do not put filler at all, soil top to bottom. Should I remove the 2x4s and rocks? It fills up the bottom 8 inches I think. I thought blueberry plants are shallow rooted?

Also, that soil mixture is always moist, almost too wet...last summer the petunias turned yellow in it and this spring it was too wet for the pansies. Would it rot the blueberry plant? Some recommend all peat in a container, sounds like that would retain too much moisture. I plan on adding to the peat/potting soil mixture some black composted leaf soil and xmas tree mulch.

I'm also putting a Chippewa in the ground, grows 3' to 4'. My entire yard is saturated in the spring because of it's low pitch. I'm also worried that one could rot too.

I bought perlite yesterday to help with drainage but they only had Miracle Gro which has the Miracle Gro chemicals in it...I fear using that.

Thoughts? Please help, thanks.

Comments (7)