SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luv2gro

Exposed Aggregate capping???

luv2gro
18 years ago

I'm not quite sure how to describe this project so please bear with me. I've always been a lurker of the 'tufa forum and really respect everything that all of you produce so creatively.

Here's the dilemma. Last fall, DH built a really nice two-level planter/retaining wall at the front of the house using "All _ _ Blo _ _" - Border Block stones. We didn't get the capstones last fall as they were out of stock and then we ran out of time. Now, the color of the capstones that they have this year don't match at all. They look horrible. I am thinking that I could top the blocks with a combination of 3/4" - 1" river rock and a resin of some sort. It would have to withstand temps. of -40° and I would put a couple of tension breaks into it to allow for some movement with the blocks.

I hope I'm asking the right forum, because I'm not sure of where else this type of project would be categorized. I thought of hypertufa capstones, but I really think the color would be difficult to match. It is sort of a grayish sandy color. It would also be hard to judge what the wet color vs. cured color would be.

Will this work? How do I do this? What type of resinous material should I use? How much forming would I have to do and what would be the best way to do it? I would like it to look "mounded", not squared off like a form might create. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Shauna

Comment (1)