SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dena6355

Cone torch

Dena6355
17 years ago

Thanks to my friend Eva who taught me! I have completed my first cone torch and have plans for another, with a little different approach.

I used a large orange traffic cone for the torch part. I learned that next time I will need to place some 1x1s around the outside of the cone and tape them securely, just to insure the piece does not get girdled (check the picture and you will see what I mean)THANK YOU EVA.

The base is a sand cast base, this is very similar in shape to how an old brass cast lamp base is made, turn one over sometime. The center of the base is solid to the level of the edge, with the exception of the hole in the center. There is a hole in the center of the base and the cone has a piece of PVC tubing that was place in a small amount of sand during the initial set up to create the flat bottom, and allow for the tubing to stand securely, the top of the tubing was taped off so no mix would get in. I made the base of the cone solid for about 8" then allowed for a hollow space where I placed perlite, just to reduce the overall weight. A piece of wire mesh covered the perlite and it is again solid for about 3" with the oil canister placed in the middle. The canister is from a bamboo torch. I like the boldness of this cone but it is very heavy.

The whole thing is veneered with a product called Milestone. Milestone makes hybridized cement and admix products. The colorants used were added to the Milestone admix, which stabilized the universal colorant (the color that goes into make a can of paint "red,blue, spring green" your choice). Milestone is a pricey product but does go a long way. The admix I am using is from a class I took several years ago, from Lynn DeNino

There are lots of options and I just picked up a skinnier traffic cone that will make a much lighter weight torch. I think a rustic tufa surface would be very nice,

Use the arrow key at the right of the webshots to view the rest of the torch.

Happy casting,

Dena

Here is a link that might be useful: behind the fence cone torch

Comments (8)