SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tango88_gw

Response to 'Faux Bois Tools'...

tango88
18 years ago

You can use just about anything (and everything) you can find. I do. Just remember that you will need a range of tools to take advantage of each of the different phases of the cure. Personally I think it helps to think of the process as taking place in four seperate stages of set and to equip yourself for each. Here's how I approach them; PHASE 1): FLUID...Just as it comes fresh from being mixed. In this state, almost anything can be used to move it around or take it off; popsicle stix, fingers, a really old Twinkie, you name it. This is the time to create your major forms and deepest relief. PHASE 2): PLASTIC...Once it cures a little, it stiffens, but remains plastic enough to still be modeled with most semi-ridgid tools like clay sculpting tools and stiff plastic styling combs. This is the time to work in your courser details and textures. PHASE 3: SEMI-RIDGID...Once it begins to actually harden, you'll need to switch over to harder and more rigid tools. I use things like old dog hair detanglers that have steel teeth, stiff wire brushes, course curry combs and garage sale wood rasps to attack it at this stage. The stiff wire brushes are great for finer textures at this point, as the material will now hold them without crumbling. PHASE 4): HARD...Fully set and hard (just not fully "cured"). Nothing short of very aggresive, hardened steel and grinders will have much effect from here on. Stone mason's tools & chisels and masonry cutting & grinding disks are the best bet at this point. In this phase you are basically working stone and need to approach it accordingly. Remember, you can work even the hardest, fully cured material with the right tools, but, just like the material itself, the longer you wait...the harder it gets. Likewise, techniques & textures possible at one stage are virtually impossible at another. So, whether it's a fancy Faux Bois planter or a full-sized statue of The Fat Elvis, just remember to match your tools and your techniques to the ever changing material and you'll be cool. Thank'eh...thank'ehveramuch. Now, 'bout them Twinkies...

Comments (20)

Sponsored