SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenrn123

Dressing up cinderblocks with hypertufa

jenrn123
18 years ago

Hi all...

I am in the process of building a tiered bed for strawberries. I would love to be able to build the wall with the stone retaining wall blocks that you can get at most home improvement stores but cost is an issue. Cinderblocks are pretty easy to come by and are inexpensive. What I would like to do is face the cinderblocks with hypertufa and then carve in lines to make it look like a stacked flat rock wall, then make a hypertufa flat rock "cap" to top off the cinderblock. Each tier will only be one cinderblock in height. Do you think this would be cost effective?

I think I can work with each block individually but I need some guidance as how to begin especially to ensure that the tufa mix adheres to the cinderblock. I can then carve the hypertufa into the look that I want. Or perhaps it would be better to carve a mold that I can set the block face down into?

Am I just trying to reinvent the wheel? Would it be just as cost effective to make hypertufa blocks and build the wall that way? I need about 60 feet of walls 8-10" high.

Anyway, any help you can provide would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Jen in NC

Comments (9)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus