SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dchall_san_antonio

How would you make a tufa 'stone' jar?

dchall_san_antonio
17 years ago

I just remodeled and created a mess. Our new roof lines direct a LOT of rain water into a low spot adjacent to the house. I am going to raise the soil level of the low spot so I have drainage, but I was also going to put a rain barrel where the water comes off the roof. Then I saw a picture of a weathered stone jar, sort of like {{gwi:67039}} and remembered this forum. I did a search and there was a thread right up this alley but the descriptions were all in the pictures which are no longer linked. So I have a couple questions.

Will tufa withstand the pounding of the water?

How would you make a tufa jar? Dimensions are about 3 feet high and no more than 18 inches in diameter. I would probably put a copper pipe in the bottom for a hose bib to drain the water out. My first thought is to use 12-inch PVC pipe liner and chicken wire to build it out.

And how do y'all achieve a weathered look? I'm picturing a blue-green and yellow lichen type of look on a pinkish granite. My first thoughts are paints, but maybe y'all use other materials for aging.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio