SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dorje_gw

fungus gnats and very little light

10 years ago

Hi,

I'm new here, and also pretty inexperienced at growing stuff indoors.

I don't have any outdoor space at all at present with my studio flat, and I'm finding it very frustrating. I used to grow lots of fruit, veg and salads and I miss them!

I built a tray for growing salads indoors, and had a go at growing some herbs in pots.

It seemed to be going ok until I had an infestation of fungus gnats, which was thoroughly unpleasant. One plant survived the onslaught, the rest withered and died. Apparently the larvae eat the hairs off the roots. This was a couple of months ago, and I haven't seen any of the blighters for a while now.

Does anyone know if I have to get rid of all the soil and start again, or now they've gone can I reuse it?

It's possible they came in with some soil I reused that had previously been outside, or maybe a couple of them flew in from the council planter outside my window.

My other issue is that I have very little natural light in my flat. I have shutters on the windows and the plants sometimes get no light until about 11.30am. There's also no direct sunlight at all. I had a sage plant that just bolted very quickly then died. Though that could have been the fungus gnats, I've noticed a rosemary I've bought recently looks like it's starting to do the same thing.

Should I put them near the lights or away from them. Anyone else got similar experience and able to give me some pointers?

Thanks,
Dorje

Comments (8)