SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tufanewbe

Tufa with paper

tufanewbe
17 years ago

Last year was the first year I started hypertufa. To be honest its been a mix bag. Last year's pots were extreemly heavy. Although, I used portland cement, sand and bean bag chair stuffing (I was being cheap and did not want to buy the vermiculite) the pots were so heavy that I could not move them.

This year I decided to go with paper. Again I was being cheap and lazy and did not want to mulch my own paper. So, I bought, cellulose insulation for attic space. What can I say last year it took three months to collect enough paper for three large pots. I could get 50 lbs. of paper for 12 bucks. Success I must say. The tufa is so light, I cannot beleive it. The key is to have a cement mixer.

My mix was 1 part cement, 1 part sand, 2 parts water and 3 parts paper. I used a very dry mix, so I had to watch the water quite a bit. I also bought some masks from party city and started my work. So far this is what I've got.

here is my question? Does anyone know how strong this mix will be? Also, they are shrinking quite a bit and this is creating cracks. What should I do?

Here is a link that might be useful: stepping stones

Comments (8)