SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megret7

Strawberries in grow bags - 2nd try - 1/3rd still dying

megret7
13 years ago

I am on my 2nd attempt growing strawberries in grow bags. Park Seed generously sent me a 2nd set of 24 seedlings after the first didn't take.

So far, this batch is doing a bit better. I've had them in the garage under the grow light and have just begun hardening them off. The horticulturalist I spoke with told me I'd have to water them often, but even after 2-3 days, the soil still feels moist to me.

Last time, I hung the bags on a hook off of my fence that gets lots of sun (6-8 hours a day). It's almost as if the interior of the bags were still heavy and wet but the seedling tops were getting scorched and burned by the sun. Within 3 days they were brown and dead.

The horticulturalist seemed surprised at my situation; he made it sound like most of the time their customers have great success with this method. I did take the hort.'s advice and put these seedlings further in, leaving only the top crown out of the dirt (he said that's the only way strawberries will root and thrive.)

(See attached link: What the seedlings look like now. About 2/3rds of them are green and strong.)

Anyone have advice on grow bags? Whether strawberries like more/less sun? Maybe I need to poke holes in the bags for more drainage? How long to harden off before setting out? Evidently one week wasn't long enough....

Thanks,

Megret7

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting