SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californian_gw

Thining asian pear fruit?

californian
17 years ago

This year my three asian pear trees are loaded with tiny fruit, way more than I think the small trees can support. The fruits are mainly in clusters of anywhere from two to five fruits, should I thin each cluster to maybe one or two fruits? If all the fruit were to get to golfball size I would guess the fruit would weigh more than the trees. I assume I should leave the biggest one and cut the others off in each cluster. BTW, I hand pollinated these trees, but wonder if it was necessary as I even see fruit forming on the very top where I couldn't reach. BTW, the Hosui is growing the best, the Shinseki second best, and the 20TH Century worst. I wonder if it is because the 20th Century appears to have three different trees grafted together, a rootstock, then a short 5 inch section of something with rough bark, and then the top part which I figure is the 20th century. Or maybe its growing worst because its in the shade of a giant clump of Eucs planted on my neighbors property 50 feet away.

Comments (5)