SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elliosc

Where to buy hardy pomegranates?

elliosc
16 years ago

Researching pomegranate varieties, I came across several very useful threads here. It seems Salavatsky and Kazake are the most likely to survive in 6a. Unfortunately, I've been completely unable to find any internet sources selling either of these varieties.

Can anyone help? From what I've read, Kazake would be preferred, but I'd try either. I'd prefer potted to bareroot to be able to plant this spring.

Also, does anyone know about these I found on Ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/RUSSIAN-Giant-Pomegranate-FRUIT-Tree-LIVE-Branched-RARE_W0QQitemZ160225790679QQihZ006QQcategoryZ42353QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Punica-granatum-L-GIANT-PINK-POMEGRANATE-Tree-1gal_W0QQitemZ290176293194QQcmdZViewItem

I want them to grow fruit, so whatever I wind up with needs to be ripe by Sept or early Oct. I'll plant the tree on a southfacing wall with a fence to the east for some wind protection and figure I'll have to protect it on really cold nights.

Also, when I read that these varieties can survive below 10F, does that mean the top growth will survive? Or just the roots?

Comments (24)

• rcnaylor
    16 years ago

Here is where I bought mine three years ago. Whether they can take it outside in the winter in the Texas panhandle is yet to be seen. I'm going to plant them in soil this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: source for :

• elliosc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the link. Did you buy the Russian one? Do you know the actual name of the variety? Has it given you fruit yet?

• Related Discussions

Pomegranate -- frost hardy or not?

Q

Comments (17)
    Pomegranates grow well in Southern California. They do excellent in the Mediterranean climate within 20 miles from the coast, but they can grow inland as well. Generally most pomegranates start having trouble in anything less than a zone 8 climate, zone 7 can be difficult, and the plant will often die back in the winter and never be able to grow very tall. There are different varieties of pomegranate, some of them are more cold tolerant. You may want to look into 'Utah Sweet' or the Russian varieties, such as 'Parfianka' or 'Salavatski'.
    ...See More

Where to buy a cold hardy agave?

Q

Comments (3)
    One possibility is Yuccado. I would wait until near the last frost to order. I have not bought from them, so I cannot comment on servce. Here is a link that might be useful: Yuccado Nursery
    ...See More

Where can I buy cold hardy Gardenia?

Q

Comments (15)
    Kaihui drive to McDonald's Garden Center in Hampton VA. They have Chuck Hayes gardenia. Best call them first though. McDonald Garden Center 1139 W Pembroke Ave Hampton, VA 23661-1119 Phone: (757) 722-7463
    ...See More

Where can I buy Cold Hardy Palms Bananas in SE MICH

Q

Comments (3)
    Depends on what kind of banana you want, do you want them to fruit? I know OSH, home depot, walmart, and lowes all carry different varieties of bananas. Red bannas don't grow edible fruit, and the big fat ones don't either. The others can. If your lowest normal temp isn't below 20, you should be able to grow banans that fruit. They will die in the winter, but come right back up after the last frost. I would put plastic around them after they look dead. My temps often get 30 degrees, and below. My come back every spring and grow bananas. Good luck.
    ...See More
  • maryhawkins99
    16 years ago

i've planted 2 of the russian ones from edible landscaping last year; they both grew well, but no fruit 1st year. they survived the winter in dallas, though it was a mild one.

i expect fruit this year. one question i have is whether the dallas summers are long & hot enough for the fruit to mature

i've seen people guess these are salavatski's, but nobody seems absolutely sure

• elliosc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'd suspect the Dallas summer will be hot enough, it's just a question of whether the variety ripens early or late.

If those Russian ones are suspected to be salavatski's, does anyone know if that is a variety that ripens early?

All the ones I found on Ebay list some bogus name for the variety, too. I found a couple from Russia nad a couple from Iran. But Russian Giant isn't a real variety, just something the seller made up. What a PIA!

Thanks everyone for the help so far.

• Scott F Smith
    16 years ago

I am also starting some pomegranates this spring and I'm not sure in my climate whether hardiness or early ripening is the most important factor. I plan to cover the trees in the winter so I am thinking hardiness will be less of a problem for me and I am focusing mostly on early ripening. Right now I bought Marianna (Aug-Oct ripening), the Russian one from Edible Landscaping which may be Salavatski (hardy but ripening unknown), Angel Red (late Aug/ early Sept), Eversweet (Aug to Oct), Granada (Aug), plus various unknown cuttings I am trying to root now. I was too late to order from Davis but may order some of the earlier ripening ones from them eventually.

I am planting them four to a hole so I will get to try out a bunch of varieties (8 total I hope, in 2 holes). I am putting them right on the south side of the house for the extra warmth.

Oh, I bought the Angel Red from that eBay site above and it came over the weekend and looks like a fine plant. Their shipping is $20 though, ouch!

Scott

• benij
    16 years ago

I'm planning to plant a pomegranate tree in my yard and need suggestions. I live in western washington and heard that Russian pomegranate type "Favorite" does well in this environment. Any ideas? Most nurseries sell 1-1.5 feet. Anybody knows where I can buy a larger tree or at least more established then 1.5 foot. and or any other suggestions for planting pomegranate in Western Washington.

• maryhawkins99
    15 years ago

the 3 gal russian pom from edible ladscape i bought last year has 2 fruits as of today. nothing on the wonderfull or sweet yet, just flowers. the russian has been covered with flowers for a month, i'm glad to finally see fruit

• lucky_p
    15 years ago

Based on two years' growth, Kazake is the most cold-hardy variety I've got growing here. It has survived two KY winters and is about 3 ft tall at present, with virtually no winter damage. No flowers or fruit yet.
    Salvatski & Bala Miursal are next in hardiness in my limited trial - both were killed back to about a foot above ground this past winter, but are growing back nicely

• bonsaist
    15 years ago

Lucky,
    I agree with you. I have Kazake and Salvatski growing for two winters in the ground with no winter damage. No fruit on mine yet. they're currently at 3 ft. I'm hoping to see them flower next season.
    Bass

• vieja_gw
    15 years ago

I have 40 + yr. old pomegranate bushes I grew from seed from store-bought "Wonderful" 'pomes. The year we got minus 17 degrees in winter (1970's), the bushes did die back but grew back up again & have bloomed every year since & bear many, many big fruits. I'm in zone 7 in a high desert area & the bushes are west facing in front of a metal shed. Weather hot days, cooler nights & dry... I usually forget to water the bushes much so they get water just from the bermuda grass when it is watered along with a fig bush near by. Oddly, the blooms come on all summer long but the fruit ripens all at the same time in the Fall! I understand the prettier double flowers are usually the ornamental kinds & non-fruiting but the fruiting kind like the 'Wonderful' has less pretty single orange flowers; the leaves are beautiful shiny green w/ pink tints (oh, yes .. has 'thorns' on the branches!) ... I'd grow it even if it didn't bear fruit!

I've read of a newer, smaller variety that has sweeter but lighter colored fruit ...

• joebok
    15 years ago

I'm a little south west of DFW. All three of my trees were purchased a Womack Nursery, in DeLeon, Tx.

I've got a Wonderful in its 3rd season. All three springs, it has died back to the roots, but come back. Each year, it has come back faster and gotten bigger.

I've never seen a blossom, though.

This winter, I planted a Garnett and a 'sweet'. The 'sweet' died back to the ground, but came up and looks like it will survive. The Garnett survived the winter and put out leaves directly from the existing twigs. No blossoms, though. It is now about 3 times the size of the 'sweet'.

• maryhawkins99
    15 years ago

i wonder why there's such a difference between ne dfw & sw dfw. my wonderfull has had no freeze back in 2 years, my russian from edible landscape no freezeback in 1 year.

my poms which are exposed were containerized when planted, 3 & 5 gallons; i believe womack is bare root? i've heard my soil in mckinney is quite a bit different than even dallas soil; very alkaline; i had to use a jackhammer to put some leland cypress's in. or maybe its variation between different wonderfulls.

1st pic is my 1 year old russian, 5 ft now, 6 fruit; second is my 2 year old wonderfull

{{gwi:89210}}

{{gwi:89211}}

• joebok
    15 years ago

bhawkins,

>>i wonder why there's such a difference between
    >ne dfw & sw dfw. my wonderfull has had no freeze
    >back in 2 years, my russian from edible landscape
    >no freezeback in 1 year.

Very interesting comment.

I've read that frost is more common in the 'low' spots. My plants are at the bottom of little river valley. We may be collecting the cold air.

• maryhawkins99
    15 years ago

i have 3 second year pom's with fruit. date of first tiny fruit on ea:

russian (e landscape) june 7
    sweet (el) june 17
    wonderfull (local nursery) july 8

• maryhawkins99
    15 years ago

goods news is that 2 fruits have ripened on the russian from edible landscape in its second year

bad news is that critters got them (possum? squirrel? cayote? armadillo?)

guess i'll have to figure out a way to protect the remaining dozen that are ripening

• rcnaylor
    15 years ago

bhawkins, did you get any ripe fruit from your Russian pom from Edible Landscape?

If so, how did its taste compare to Wonderful/store bought poms?

After transplanting mine from pots to soil, the fruit I had on mine fell off, it put on new fruit, but, of course, by new crop didn't have time to mature.

So, I was just wondering about taste.

• maryhawkins99
    15 years ago

yes, a dozen or so. also a half dozen from my wonderful. both tasted good. but to be honest, the store bought wonderful tastes better.

i also got 1 pom from my 2 year old "sweet" & it was great! far better than the store poms.

last winter was mild, i hope the poms survive the next one

bob

• maryhawkins99
    15 years ago

yes, a dozen or so. also a half dozen from my wonderful. both tasted good. but to be honest, the store bought wonderful tastes better.

i also got 1 pom from my 2 year old "sweet" & it was great! far better than the store poms.

last winter was mild, i hope the poms survive the next one

bob

• tnangela
    14 years ago

How come I didn't know pomegranate could be hardy?
    I bought a supermarket fruit, tried it, threw it out and seedlings grew. I had 4 survive the winter in TN 6b, 0F was the low.

{{gwi:89212}}

• rcnaylor
    14 years ago

Well,I'm in zone6b/7 depending on which map you look at and, for what its worth, my "Russian Hardy" were doing great all winter even with a 12 degree low a couple of times, started budding out like gangbusters when we had an early spring, then when the blizzard and 20 degree lows hit just as they were budding out, they died back to the ground. ;(

But, good news is they are coming back from the roots. But, that won't matter much if they do that every year. Oh well, guess we'll see what happens next year.

• njbiology
    13 years ago

I'm posting this question to revisit the discussion help years back: any updates on new cultivars (superior hardiness) or experiences?

Vieja, other than your -17 F. winter, what were the lowest minimum temperatures that they have endured without dying back.

Lucky, is 'Kazake' what you still recommend?

• shah_kavoos_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Where can i buy an "Entekhabi Saveh" (Iranian Pomegranate)
    or a cutting. I am also interested in "Kazake".

• chervil2
    13 years ago

Does anyone have growing experience with the Sunbar pomegranate cultivar? I am thinking of trying to grow one in a sheltered microclimate in Massachusetts. Has anyone else tried growing pomegranate shrubs in New England? Thanks for the advice in advance.

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company