SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ymaddox

in response to...good growing practices thread

ymaddox
12 years ago

First off al let me say...my brain hurts. Love, love, love all your info but can we do small chapter based learning material lol. But then again searching for each could be tedious as well, so may work best the way it is...i'll just find the tylenol lol. Your so smart when it comes to the scientific method of plant growth that you sometimes still go a bit over my head and I'm a educated woman. You just wrap your head around molecular information way better than I for sure. I had a doc that set down and taught me to analyze arterial blood gases and he was a awesome teacher and I get it now. Kind of the bb in pudding info...great descriptive. I have always had difficulty wrapping my brain around fluid base balance which is really the same thing your speaking of just in plant form. I get the basics but you my friend can take it to a whole different level. Have u ever had that difficulty, that no matter how you try there is just some things your brain won't wrap around. Now I'm learning in lil bits and forgive me if you have to repeat it in a different way for my brain to get it ;). Enough said about that.

I have some beautiful pothos and spider plants in just regular ole soil without drainage and they are doing great and been that way for at least a couple years. My guess is they would be a ton bigger if in a draining soil with drainage holes. But they are not and they are really very pretty. After reading your article I think I am going to leave them without repotting and see how long they stay gorgeous...considering salt accumulations cause I water them with tap water as well. It really is no big deal cause I always start new ones on my deck every year...so not losing my prize plant or nothing. It will be interesting to see how long they do well.

I also wanted to ask and the question has been brought up but I'm now asking for specifics. If a non hobbyists just wanted to grow a .99 plant from Walmart or lowes and was not interested in a soilless medium. How would you amend miracle grow in order for them to grow nice healthy plants? Cause there are some that will not want to go to the effort that some of us has, and to be honest I may try on my outside plants a few just to see.the difference in vitality. So what I am asking is for you to take a soil readily available and amend to as close as the 5:1:1 as you can, as far as aeration etc... cause we all want to grow things but I think you will find alot of people wanting more.grower convenience than plant. Maybe they don't have the time to spend on their plants that you or I do. The floor is all yours :)

Comments (8)