SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Shipova, threatend with death, finally blooms!

denninmi
14 years ago

Last year, I stood in front of it, shaking my electric chainsaw and telling it that it had better flower next season, "or else!"

Well, it worked. It's got about 2 dozen clusters of big, fat buds coming.

This thing is probably about 12 years old now -- at least 10. I can't remember exactly when I planted it, but I do remember I bought it from Raintree. It's a nice tree, actually, probably about 10-12 feet tall and about 2/3rds as wide.

I'm looking forward to getting to sample this thing finally this year.

Comments (5)

• tcstoehr
    14 years ago

That's interesting. I have a Seneca plum tree that sets practically no fruit whatsoever. This year, it's either produce or take a one-way trip to the burn pile. As usual, it's showing tons of fruitlets that look so promising, but always stop growing and fall off. I think I will have a man-to-tree talk and see if my message gets thru. If this works, I think we're onto something big.

• gliese
    14 years ago

That's cool. I just planted one last year. Mine's got some sort of weird leaf problem though, all curly and crinkly, kinda surprised it made it through the winter, disappointed that it still has the problem...is your's sensitive to anything that ever made it do that? Good luck with getting good fruit.

• franktank232
    14 years ago

I talked to a group of peach trees of mine and had a talk this spring. I let them know if i don't see a lot of flower buds, its game over. Well. I didn't see as many as i wanted so i grabbed "Big Orange" (Husqvarna) and did the duty. The wood will work great in the chimnea.

Pears i know can take a long time to fruit. However, my Seckel fruited last year and now again this year. Its only been out there 4 years now and has been moved 2 times! I see Seckel trees for sale at the nursery that are flowering, so they must go early.

• mr.ed
    14 years ago

"Last year, I stood in front of it, shaking my electric chainsaw and telling it that it had better flower next season, "or else!"

LOL Be afraid, be very afraid

• ashleysf
    14 years ago

I think you are on to something big here, too. I am off to have a talk with my Apricot and Plum tree while "shaking my electric chainsaw" at them.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County