SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladybugsmom192

Oh No - think i've figured it out....

ladybugsmom192
13 years ago

i have 2 each of the green zukes (empires i think??) and the yellow straight necks right next to each other (i'm talking less than 3 inches apart)and i think that's why they haven't been 'prolific' for me.

i've posted in the last few weeks about lack of production and pollination, and the boy/girl flowers not coming up at the same time.... and yes, i've finally had a chance to hand pollinate, and i currently have what's turning out to be a huge zuke growing now.

i plated both on may 12 and the green zukes have produced about 5 or 6, only 2 of those were edible but incredibly small; the yellow straight necks have yet to produce anything i can pick. there are about 3 that are just starting to come up, but nothing to pollinate.

so my questions are these:

- can having them that close together effect production?

- can i hand pollinate the yellows with the green zukes?

- will they cross pollinate on their own, and will that effect the production/fruit?

thanks!

Comments (20)

• dianasan
    13 years ago

Most definitely, having them only 3 inches apart will affect the size and productivity of the plant. Mine are about 18 inches and producing very well, but at least 2 feet apart would have been better.

As for pollinating a green with a yellow and vice versa, there is no problem when it comes to the production of fruit. What it does affect is the seeds the zucchini produce and if these seeds are dried and sown, the resulting fruit would be a hybrid of the two original zucchini.

By they way, zucchini should be picked when they are no bigger than 7 or 8 inches for optimum flavor. If I miss one and it gets bigger, I treat it as a squash.

• ausbirch
    13 years ago

dianasan has answered the questions, but I had comment to on this:

I have 2 each of the green zukes (empires i think??) and the yellow straight necks right next to each other (i'm talking less than 3 inches apart)...

...because it just boggles my mind.

I'm not a master gardener (whatever the hell that is, anyway) but I can read a seed packet, and there's often some quite useful information on there, like recommended plant spacing, for example.

Sure, the packet just gives general guidelines, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't say anything remotely like "plant three inches apart". I'm prepared to bet that even Square Foot Gardening guidelines for zucchini recommend a substantially greater spacing.

Not to pick on ladybugsmom, because there have been many other posts about ridiculously crowded gardens. But what gives? The information is readily available, why don't people use it? I just don't get it!

Thanks, just had to get that off my chest...

• Related Discussions

I *think* I've figured it out, LoL

Q

Comments (12)
    Hi Mary - Another gardener for a cousin, awesome! :-) Hey, the best part about friends, is you get to choose your family! So, maybe we will be family before long. Never can tell :-) I like your name ;-) Carol - I just watered my plants tonight with some left over coffee. My son just gave me a strange look and shook his head while giggling.
    ...See More

Oh no I think I've killed my dwarf navel orange tree!!!

Q

Comments (4)
    If you follow Citrus's instructions and do not over water at this time, it should be just fine.. You will get to know your tree well and it will respond to your care because you care and came here to be successful... The two main cause for twig die back other than being pot bound is over or under watering.. When you bring a tree inside, usually within a few days once it senses it is not in its favorite environment, it can take days or weeks for the roots to resume taking up moisture like before because they rebel and try to adjust..It is critical that at this time that the roots are in a very porous mix and not stay wet for days...Because growth has almost stopped, the roots can get damaged by rot. I always notice that at certain times my trees will all of sudden dry out slower than usual and stop taking up moisture as they once had outdoors..Once things resume as usual, usually within a few weeks, you will notice that you will have to water more frequently again.. It is important at this time that you do not under water... Hope this helps for the next time you have to do a drastic change to its environment or root disturbance.. I wish your tree all the best and I know it will respond to its sunny spot there and longer days..Even more so once put outdoors again) Mike This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 22:45
    ...See More

I've had a limequat all this time...Hobby...I figured it out bc of you

Q

Comments (17)
    Steve, I don't think they are trying to be sneaky, I just think their labeling is confusing. What the lady told me (which I already knew) is that they flavor of the limequat is similar to that of the key lime and that by crossing the two, they make it more cold tolerant for those up north. For my area, it makes no difference bc neither can survive, but maybe those a little south of me can get away with planting it in the grown. I still want a regular key lime though...
    ...See More

I think I've figured out the seemingly random posts with no info...

Q

Comments (1)
    Because it says " Hi, what are you working on?" So they give one or two words that they are working on. And, they seem to be using a phone, or think they are in Snapchat, so sentences and punctuation aren't used. I think you hit the nail on the head, Chloe.
    ...See More
  • bluebirdie
    13 years ago

- can having them that close together effect production?
    Yes. I planted mine close expecting to lose most to the slugs. When slugs did not do them in, I pulled some of them. It's common for us with limited space to plant things too close sometimes. I know it's unthinkable to kill something we work so hard to grow, but they will compete for nutrition. Also letting the fruit grow too big and go to seeds may also affect future productions.

- can i hand pollinate the yellows with the green zukes?
    Yes.

- will they cross pollinate on their own, and will that effect the production/fruit?
    Yes. Usually not. I saw a few wired looking early fruits, but those're probably accident.

• thefarmguy
    13 years ago

well too funny,,,i usually plant two zukes within 3 inches of each other but i leave 2 ft between the next group and 3 ft would be better as they can really get huge once those hot summer days arrive....dianasan you will probably find that cutting a few plants off will end up giving you more and better fruit,,,hey the summer is still young,,,,make sure they have enough fertilizer, give them water but keep the folage dry and you will have enough to take to the food bank,,,,my best producer so far has been called "payroll" tons of beautiful fruit....zuke on dianasan best regards from gregg on the wet coast

• ladybugsmom192
    Original Author
    13 years ago

don't you all just LOVE newbies, lol!!

@ ausbirch \- oooohouch! nasty, nasty... well first, they're planted about 4 inches apart, but i know, i know \- that's still too close, right? second, i bought the zukes as cute little seedling plants, and to be nice, my dear 8 yr old daughter (bka ladybug) and dear hubby planted them for me while i was recouping from chemo \- i was just too sick to do it. and i'm certain that it just didn't occur to her to google how far apart zucchini seedlings should be planted. i guess you could say i'm throwing her under the bus, huh? lol! yeah, without that info, i can see how it could boggle your mind, but THAT'S WHAT GIVES. i really want to say something about how not so nice your post was, but ... sigh... i won't, because i think you already know. hey, for all i know, you had had it up to there with 'dumb newbie' questions/stuff... right?

now on with my update:

a few disclaimers -
    first, they're planted about 4 inches apart (i know, i know - still too close, lol!), but in rows that are about 20+ inches apart. second, my 8 year old daughter (ladybug) and hubby planted them for me because i was sick.

@ dianasan - thanks so much for the info. i had been wondering what the deal was, but i'm realizing now that we've been having funky weird weather in my area (too warm too soon, unusually cold - i almost turned my heater on the other day!). and btw, i just picked 3 nice, big, fat, deep green zukes the smallest is 6.5 inches and the biggest is 8.25 - wooohoo!!!! (thank you hand pollination and 'davissue'!)

@ bluebirdie & @ the farmguy - many thanks to you too. i asked about the cross pollination because i was starting to feel a little desperate since my boy/girl flowers weren't coming up at the same time, and according to basic anatomy... lol!

so i pulled one earlier because it just wasn't doing anything. i only kept it this long because my ladybug REALLY liked that one for some reason, but i knew it wasn't going to do anything. the other three are going like gangbusters though in terms of health and growth. again, i get/have gotten, tons of little starters, they just aren't making it to the finish line, and i thought that in addition to the pollination issue, that just maybe it could have something to do with being that close (BECAUSE I HAVE DONE MY RESEARCH AND I DO KNOW THAT THEY SHOULDN'T BE THAT CLOSE). by the time i began to come out of my chemo funk, ladybug and hubby were quite proud of themselves for getting them in the ground, AND keeping them alive for me.

sorry for being so long. thanks again, now i'm going to go oogle at my zuke 'bounty'...!

• doug360
    13 years ago

You go girl!
    I lurk because it's interesting to find the answers from those that really want to share. Last couple of dumbie questions got the same kind of responses you got from ausbirch. climate this year has really been weird on the west coast, too late to plant because too wet, green house starts still languishing in the ground,....
    anyway, my point, and my direction this year, wait and see. maybe the corn will actually have time, maybe we'll get a good tomato and pepper harvest.
    glad to hear hubby and ladybug have the "itch", it's hard to recover from that! best wishes on your recovery, the garden's a great place to do that,....

• spaghetina
    13 years ago

Actually, aside from knowing that zucchini need a lot of room to grow, the spacing on the packages can be really deceiving. They usually talk about planting several seeds in a hill, and then thinning them to a couple of plants per hill. Well, how big is a hill? When I think of a hill, I think of a mound of dirt, which, ok, I guess would have been called a mound if that's what they meant, but not coming from any sort of farming or growing background of any sort - I haven't a clue what the eff a hill is. However big a hill is supposed to be, it sounds as though the plants can be rather closely spaced within one, as long as the rows are well-spaced (and I thought those row spacing guidelines were only for people who did row gardening anyway, so that they'd have room to drive tractors and stuff through them, or walk through, or what have you...).

Those of us who are newer to gardening try new things, especially those of us with limited space. Cramming things in is always one of those experiments. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's all in the name of learning. Hell, I planted 2 zukes that close together last year, and ended up with at least a passable harvest, though far from the overflowing bounty I expected. This year, I planted them 2' apart, and I'm getting less than I did last year! If I hadn't tried it, I never would have known that it was possible to crowd them that much and still get something out of them.

• ashley9597
    13 years ago

I really don't understand the intolerance of "newbie" questions on this forum. I too am a newbie and I have had my share of "stupid" questions. But haven't we all started out new? I doubt the negative people were born with all the knowledge of gardening. I have to agree with the seed packet discrepancies. I planted Kohlrabi this year and I followed the seed packet to a T. My plants never bulbed. Come to find out that they won't bulb if the leaves of adjoining plants are touching. Some people plant them a good foot away from one another. But the seed packet doesn't tell you that. The only way I learned that was talking to people here. Ladybugsmom, I wish you a speedy recovery. It is very obvious you have a wonderful support system with your husband and daughter. I can only imagine how proud ladybug was with planting the zukes for you. That alone is worth more than any size harvest. Good luck! I hope you get atleast one zuke that the three of you can share.

• mandolls
    13 years ago

As another beginning vegetable gardener, I dont mind and even enjoy some of the "drier" comments. Luckily I started reading up in this forum BEFORE I planted this spring. - still.......

My zukes are too close together too - I think there are about 9 plants in a raised bed that is 10 feet long. The plants are huge, but I am getting alot of blossom end rot, which from what I read here, is due to lack of pollination. I think that it is so crowded in there (and the plants are set down in the wooden frames 6-8 inches), that the bees simply don't find the flowers.

When I harvested last night I cut out about a third of the leaves on every plant to give them more air and give the bees access. Hopefully the open stems wont just attract evil bugs, but so far I haven't had any insect damage on the zukes, so fingers are crossed

• Macmex
    13 years ago

There is a saying: "The only dumb question is the one not asked." Everyone starts out some time and we all learn at a different pace.

Yes, the two varieties will cross on their own. But no, as I believe was already mentioned, that will not affect the fruit. Also, even though the seed will not be pure, it should produce usable summer squash.

By the way, "hill," in garden terminology, doesn't necessarily mean a "raised heap of soil." "To plant in hills" means to plant a couple seeds (usually 2-3) close together, move on, and plant another similar grouping. Depending on the squash variety hills are separated by anywhere from 4 to 8'. How much space to use between different varieties of summer squash is often learned by experience, as there are varieties which are pretty compact, and others that, well... aren't at all ;) I have grown a summer squash which sent out runners about 10'!

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• dianasan
    13 years ago

Hi, ladybugsmom. You're so lucky to have your 8 year-old daughter help with your gardening. I wish my (grown-up) daughter would show a tiny bit of interest in my garden. All my very best wishes to you!

Hey, Gregg (farmguy). So many cultivars, so little garden space, LOL! Best regards to you too!

• guavalane
    13 years ago

Thank you Macmex and Spaghetina, now I know what a "hill" is.

Thefarmguy said "...you will probably find that cutting a few plants off will end up giving you more and better fruit,,,hey the summer is still young..."

To me, it is important to "cut" instead of to "pull" when overcrowding. The exception is when they are very young and you're trying to save both plants. Otherwise, it's safer to cut off the extra - always painful for me to do.

• ladybugsmom192
    Original Author
    13 years ago

wow, thanks so much for the feedback everyone, i really appreciate that, and this forum (as evidenced my all my requests for 'help!', lol!).

well, as far as the good wishes for my health - i thank you so very much. i've had a little set back and head back to chemo starting monday (yay - NOT!) so i am a bit anxious to get as much info as i can to seem like i know a little something to my poor dear hubby so he'll have enough courage to get out there and take care of my garden while i'm wrapped around the toilet, lol!

yes, i'm a lucky gal indeed.

since i've started gardening, i've taken a gander at the seed packets and yes, they're a little hard for me to decipher, i sheepishly admit. i gave up after my first disaster at thinning. i thinned the poor things to nothing! so i didn't even bother to thin the basil and it's doing just fine.

i've noticed the occasional mean spiritedness on this forum and well, i just guess they've had or are having a bad day. honestly, i've found that there's more wonderfully generous folks here than not, and i'm thankful for that. i don't mind the occasional 'dry wit' comments too, but some are a bit, well, mean. and that's sad, because life's just too short, and truly sweet for that.

i hope you all have a wonderfully sweet day! be well :)

angela
    (ladybugs momm!)

• bigtrout
    13 years ago

Well, I'm a complete newbie. I have found the info on seed packets to be mostly irelevant pertaining to spacing when gardening in raised beds or containers. The ability to control moisture and have such rich soil somewhat offsets crowding IMO.
    That being said my zuchinni has yet to produce a single zuke. My squash produce pitiful little nothings that end up shriveling away. I've pulled about 4 squash from two fairly crowded "hills".
    But I'm learning and I'm sure I have asked some newbie questions that seem trivial to those with more experience.

laeybugsmom, I'll say a prayer for you and hope your treatment goes well.

One last thing, does anyone know where I can get some macaroni seeds? I cannot find any locally and the seed catalogs do not seem to have any listed.

• nygardener
    13 years ago

Just plant some orzo and you can harvest macaroni, ziti, or manicotti, depending on how long you let the fruits ripen.

• bigtrout
    13 years ago

LOL! Thanks, I'll have to find some "orzo". ;-)

• jnfr
    13 years ago

The most wonderful thing about gardening is that you learn more every year, and every new growing season is a chance to try again for a better result.

The weather may go bad, the seeds may not sprout, diseases and insects attack. Even sometimes your own ignorance may get in the way. But it's the miracle of nature: you can always start again.

And sometimes you'll have those seasons when plants grow beautifully and harvests are abundant. Then you get start again anyway :).

• ditnc
    13 years ago

We're actually supposed to READ the seed packets???? Yikes, news to me ;-)

ladybugsmom, I have tried squash for 2 years and the boys and girls have not appeared at the same time. I think I have harvested 5 squash in 2 years, and I can't even tell you how many plants I have grown. I kept hoping they would synch up (the males and females), but if they were going to, the squash vine borers beat them to it.

So I decided to give up squash. I love tomatoes and am focusing on those as well as peppers and cukes. I am lucky to have a farmer's market 8 miles from my house, so if I need "homegrown" squash, I can easily get it.

All the best to you...

• wulfe
    13 years ago

That's so odd.. grew gold rush and black beauty zucchini this year (first time growing them for us) and can't keep the fruits off the plant (though we're mostly hand pollinating as bees are in short supply around here this year). At any given time there are 5-10 buds/flowers of mixed sex on each of 3 plants. Lucky I guess? They're in self watering containers with peat/perlite/bark.

• ladybugsmom192
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@ ditnc - huh-larry-us!! lol!! i feel the same way actually. my cousin in georgia has the exact same brand and type (carrots) of seed packet he got from his local nursery, the same ones i have. and guess what? the packets say the exact same thing - we live almost 3000 miles apart!!

well, i'm going to keep trying, and growing what i like/want til i can't any longer. i just LOVE it. i love being out there. there was 'nothing to do' in the garden this morning (well, there's ALWAYS something to do) so i just fiddled around, snipping leaves, dead heading, pinching back, lol!

hope you all have a great weekend

angela :)