SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

Pictures of Garden, Picture Heavy

I always say I will post pictures. I wanted to clean up and weed before I took them. Everyones gardens are always so weed free and good looking. I just decided that will probably not happen, so the kids were napping and I ran out and snapped a few.

Here is my hoop building for tomatoes. When I started.

{{gwi:92652}}

To Date I have picked 420 pounds of these 35 plants. They are doing awesome. The plastic finally ripped to much to fix and I just let the wind tear it off one day. I still need to take it apart. I just haven't had the time.

{{gwi:92653}}

Here are some pictures of the 160 pounds of tomatoes I have picked in the last two days. They aren't as big as they use to be, but they have really good flavor. I don't know what will happen when my outside tomatoes start producing this much!

{{gwi:92655}}

{{gwi:92657}}

Here are my outside tomatoes. Most are Heirlooms and some Hybrids. It is a jungle in there! The rows were 4 feet apart and the plant spacing is 2-4 feet apart. I had extra plants and I stuck them between my cages and used a Florida Weave on them. The row on the left is a florida weave. I am very happy how they are standing up to the winds we get here. I will probably try it again next year with more tomatoes.

{{gwi:92659}}

Here are my Cherry Tomatoes. I have 27 plants with 8 different varieties. On Sunday I picked 24 pints. I have not been able to go back since. I am sure there are that many again.

{{gwi:92661}}

Here are my peppers. Most of these are bells or sweet peppers. They have not been cranking them out as I have hoped. They are producing very tasty peppers though. I have another 50 in a different location. They are my hot peppers. I forgot to take the picture of them.

{{gwi:92663}}

Here are the cucumber trellises. This is a picture of the lemon cucumbers. I am getting a few off the vines. I wish I could have more. I see tons of male blooms but not many female blooms. I know one of these days I will regret saying I want more!

{{gwi:92665}}

This is my Picklebush pickling cucumber section. These 6 hills are cranking out the cucs. I usually pick 8-15 pounds a day. I need to save some back and make some pickles!

{{gwi:92667}}

Here is my small cucumber hoop building. I have Diva Cucumbers growing in it. This is my first year with hoop buildings and for growing Diva Cucumbers. They have both become my favorites. I have picked over 200 cucumbers out of this building to date. I know it could be more, but I didn't get a chance to prune them when they were smaller. I am also loosing some to the heat.

{{gwi:92669}}

It is a real jungle in this place. I find a huge cuc every once in a while.

{{gwi:92671}}

I have some Okra too. I am waiting to pick some. I have picked a few pods, but not much. I think next week I will be hauling them away in buckets!

{{gwi:92673}}

Finally on my tour is our watermelon and canteloupe patch. The vines have absolutely gone crazy. This is a new garden patch this year. I guess it is a good one! There are seedless watermelons, sugar baby, Black Diamond, Moon and Stars, Blacktail Mountain, Golden Midget, Kansas and Sierra Gold melons. I planted them on the recommended spacing. I guess I am just doing good. I have alot of melons out there. It will just be hard to find them all when it comes time to pick them.

{{gwi:92675}}

I didn't take pictures of my squash. They are my dissappointment for the year. I have lost some to SVB and Squash bugs. I just hate to spray with seven when I see so few pollinators in the area. I have some fall squash growing in a different area. I will keep them healthier, if I can.

I also have a potato patch. I have dug a little under half of it. To date I have dug close to 600 pounds. I still probably have 600-700 pounds to dig. I am sorry I didn't take a picture of it now. Here is what it looked like a few months ago.

{{gwi:62330}}

We eat everything from the garden. In addition, I hit 3 markets a week. They have been going great. It makes up for the high gas prices!

Thanks for checking out my garden in Clay Center, Kansas.

Comments (16)