SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kandaceshirley

peach tree borer damage

kandaceshirley
16 years ago

In doing my spring inspection I discovered peach tree borers on my older reliance peach. The damage is pretty extensive around the bottom of the tree (I hadn't been spraying for the borers - mainly because I don't like using a lot of chemicals, but lesson learned, I'm going to start spraying and using a pheromone lure and painting the trunks with a mix of interior latex diluted with water 50/50 in the fall). What's the best way to protect the trunk where it's already been damaged by the borers? The buds and branches of the tree seem to still be very healthy. I also read about using moth balls in soil packed in a mound 5-10" up the trunk to kill the current "residents" and then removing the mound in about 3 weeks. Is that my best bet to get rid of the borers I haven't already killed manually? Or since the trunk is already damaged from them will that damage the tree more and I'd be better off to wait it out until the current "residents" grow up and leave home and just work on preventive measures until then? Or is the tree just doomed? the reliance is almost five years old and is a dwarf. The other peach (Elberta) didn't seem to have any borers - at least none that I could see. My other stone fruit trees in that area will be planted this year or are apples so that should be safe from the current infestation as long as I keep up on it, right?

Comments (11)